20.

R O M E S S A / M A R C O.
Hell Hath No Fury

T H E | W E E K N D - Angel"Even though I sin, we are born to live; And I know time will tell if we're meant for this

"Even though I sin, we are born to live;
And I know time will tell if we're meant for this."

Romessa

I was awoken at three in the morning, filled with the undesirable impulse to empty out my stomach, which was filled with the contents of what I'd eaten for dinner just hours ago. William lay next to me, though his body was cold—so were his calloused fingers, which tightly gripped my wrist. Even in his sleep, he has to have some type of hold on me, I thought. I drew in a breath. But can I blame him?

The last two days had been an absolute shitshow. I'd taken two weeks off of work in order to focus entirely on Bella's wedding; my new funding had allowed me to hire two interns to work in my place while I was gone. In three hours, William and I would fly to Morocco—those were the terms we'd all agreed upon. Marco would bring Jessica, who was shockingly three and a half months pregnant. Bella and Julian figured it would be better that way: in light of all the rumors, they didn't want their wedding to receive bad publicity because of Marco and I, and our significant others were too distrusting to let us go alone, anyways.

Marco hadn't admitted to any sort of affair, past or present, in the statement he'd officially released. All he'd done was apologize and admit that in that moment only, he wasn't exercising proper judgment. I didn't like the way he'd staged things—his explanation was along the lines of "I was lonely and desperate and wouldn't have held her like that otherwise, and I never will again". He apologized to his wife, promised that there was no rumored affair going on between he and I, and explained the connection between his mother and my father. "This familial dynamic was not previously disclosed", he'd written, "Because I value the privacy of myself and my family members. However, I can see how my unwillingness to explain this connection has lead to a misunderstanding amongst the general public and the media. I will do better to avoid this in the future. Romessa is like family to me, and I would never do anything to jeopardize my relationship to her/my family as well as my wife."

I quickly stood up and made my way to the en-suite bathroom before throwing up in the toilet, barely managing to hold my hair back as I continued to vomit. I would never do anything to jeopardize my relationship with my wife. I couldn't stop thinking about those words, knowing how untrue they were, knowing how much of a lie it was. I flushed the toilet and washed my face and mouth before staring at my reflection, drawing in a deep breath. What on earth is wrong with you?

I jumped as William sounded from the doorframe, his voice groggy. "What's going on, Romessa?"

"I felt unwell," I mumbled. "I'm fine."