26.

R O M E S S A.
Family Matters

 Y O U N G | S U M M E R - Taken"Some things are made to never separate

"Some things are made to never separate."

"What happens when the most loved man in Germany falls in love with the most hated woman?" Romessa read an internet article off her phone screen as she munched on a carrot stick, her hair in two messy french braids as she sat next to Marco in bed. "In the week since 'anonymously' releasing explosive documents, Romessa Bensaïd has—"

"Goodness, Romessa," Marco removed the phone from Romessa's hand, watching as she blushed and gazed down at him, observing the way strands of his blonde hair stuck to his forehead when he was too careless to comb it back. He was exhausted from both his professional career and his private life—including Jessica's refusal to sign the divorce documents—and had been laying, half-asleep, next to Romessa. "You are not the most hated woman in Germany, alright? It's been a hectic few weeks, but you've come out on top, haven't you?"

Romessa blushed and gazed at her fingers. It'd been a month since she'd anonymously sent Robert's fraud documents to the media, and what a crazy month it had been. The public was divided—his supporters, and there were many, claimed that the documents had been faked by Romessa to cause his demise; the other half claimed that they were real, and that Robert Lewandowski deserved to be imprisoned for his fraud. Regardless, Romessa had sent them in just in time to turn herself in at the police station the next day—and get out hours later, with Marco paying a hefty bail of nearly €40,000. Her charges of physical battery against Jessica were severe: if found guilty, she could end up in prison for months or even years.

Days after Romessa was released from police custody, the German government intervened in the matter regarding the documents, launching an official investigation into Robert's inappropriate briberies and his misuse and theft of charitable funds. For a week or so, Robert and Romessa were at a stalemate: the Pole was rapidly losing public favor, but Romessa certainly wasn't gaining any. Yet somehow, Jessica was still heralded as an innocent victim of Marco's infidelity and Romessa's cruelty; the Moroccan had received so many violent threats on her social media accounts that she had to make them private and disable comments.

It was a week ago when the debatably good news broke: Moroccan authorities had decided that Romessa's crime, committed technically in water which was under Moroccan jurisdiction, would have to be examined in a Moroccan criminal court if Jessica wished to press charges. With Robert lacking the ability to bribe the German authorities to refuse Romessa's extradition for Jessica's sake, Marco's ex-wife had no choice but to agree—that was, of course, unless she wanted to drop the charges. The trial was scheduled to take place in around a week, but Romessa and Marco would fly in tomorrow in order to see her family in Casablanca.