Chapter Seven- Turning Point

"For Christ's sake Kendreena, what were you thinking!?!" My father's voice was a louder than a lion's roar. I wanted to crawl up into a tiny ball and hide in a corner.

It had been three days since I returned from New Jersey. All the major newspapers, magazines and blogs were buzzing about the discovery of me and Andrew's relationship. Some had enough decency to be civil but others couldn't even come close. They took the opportunity to lambaste, brutalize and exaggerate the whole ordeal. Many of them nicknamed me the adulterous woman; others called it the affair of the century. I wasn't really bothered about what they were saying about me because I know none of it was really true.

"Why did you hide your relationship with him from me?" he pleaded more than he asked. His tone gradually softened when he saw just how distorted I was. He bent down and embraced me and I broke down in my father's arms. I was so puzzled, so hurt.

How could this happen? Was dad telling the truth? Oh course he was, why would my father lie to me about something so grievous? How could Andrew lie to me?

I was thankful that the press had not found out that Andrew wasn't who he said he was.
'But how long would it take for them to find out?' After all it had only been three days. Words couldn't do justice to the terrible ache that enveloped my chest and made it harder to breathe.

His real name was Tyrone Ashton Harrington. Based on the report from the C.I.A Andrew, well, Tyrone was the son of the deceased Myron Harrington, owner of Harrington's Car Dealership. Tyrone was born and raised in Boston not England. His mother was French and his father American. His mother, Valerie met his father when she travelled to Boston. They married a year later. After his father's death he inherited the company along with the immense debt that came with it. They also discovered his fiancée, Ann.

What had hurt me the most was the fact that this was all about money. Marrying me meant marrying into a millionaire family. The ugly truth stung the deepest chamber of my heart. 'It was all about the money. He didn't love me; he was engaged to be married to another woman.'

Fresh tears cascaded down my face. There were a terrible pounding in my head. Dad ordered Martha to bring a glass of water and some medicine. After taking them I went to bed.

A few days later Beverly came over. She met me sitting at the edge of the bed staring at the door.

"Oh Kendreena!" she gasped at the sight of my tear stained face.
The sheer horror in her eyes made it evident that I had under estimated the extent of my physical appearance. My eyes burned and felt swollen from crying and my hair hadn't received a proper combing in days.

She threw her long hands around me and squeezed me. Rocking me back and forth she comforted me.
"It's going to be okay," she repeated.

When my breathing steadied she asked how I was doing. I struggled to come up with and answer not only to satisfy her but to help me comprehend fully where I stood in the midst of this disaster. I was certainly not fine.

"I'm...trying," I swallowed, "to deal with it. Everything's still tied up."

She knew that this had a miasmic effect on me and knew all too well that I desperately needed someone to confide in.

"I came here as soon as I could," she offered, "how did all this happen?"

Beverly had read some papers and looked at the news about Kendreena's relationship with Tyrone but would never admit to reading the gossip about her friend.

"Well, uh someone tipped the paparazzi off and they showed up at the hotel. When we returned home dad had his friend in the C.I.A investigate him and they found out that he wasn't who he said he was." My voice was as light and annexed with despair. I gazed at my feet, I was so embarrassed.