3.9

Half an hour later, Vanessa was in a pair of ripped skinny jeans, a black t-shirt and her trusty gray Vans with her hair still in it's ponytail. She had put on makeup and thought she actually looked pretty good, considering her plan was just to stay in bed until Monday morning. Here she was, though, climbing into Luke's car at nine o'clock on Saturday night.

"You look great," He said, and she smiled at him. He was in his usual black jeans, converse, and a ripped band tee. His hair was quiffed up as usual, and his lip ring glinted in the light off the dashboard. She pushed her hair behind her ear, chewing on her lip as he drove.

"You okay?" He asked her.

"Yeah, I just... You don't think we're moving too fast, right? I mean, we've only known each other for what, a month?" She asked, and he looked at her.

"Ness, you don't have to do anything you don't want to. You don't even have to be my girlfriend. As long as you're happy, okay?" He asked, and she nodded.

"Sorry, I just... it's just hard." She admitted, and he rubbed his hand on her thigh.

"It's okay, babe. I get it. No pressure." She smiled at him, and they pulled up to Ashton's house.

She could hear the music from outside, dark figures dancing wildly in the windows, and she felt her blood run cold. She hadn't been to a party since the night... She shook her head, trying to clear the memories. She reminded herself she was here with Luke, she was happy, and nothing from her past could come back and haunt her. Somehow, she didn't believe it. Luke held her hand in his as they entered AShton's house, walking over to the couch where his band mates were gathered. He could feel the anxiety radiating off Vanessa in waves, and he grabbed her a drink in an effort to try and calm her down. He didn't know what was wrong, but he didn't want her to not have a good time.

"Look at the lovebirds, aw!" Ashton cooed as they joined the rest of the boys.

"You guys are, like, the cutest couple." Michael added in his best Valley girl voice. Vanessa giggled a little, sipping whatever was in the cup Luke had handed her.

"Aw, look at little Nessy blush," Calum teased, and she shook her head at the trio. Luke smiled because she was smiling, half-heartedly telling his friends to shut up. Next to him, he felt Vanessa stiffen and looked over to see her brown eyes wide and locked on an approaching figure.

Hello, Vanessa," a guy Luke had never seen before spoke, and everything around them seemed to grow silent as Vanessa squeaked in response.

"Duncan," Was all she said. Somehow, Luke just knew. This was her ex. The one who had caused her to be so scared to love him. Something wasn't right. he could tell from looking at the two of them, and it was then that he realized there was something Vanessa hadn't told him, something big.