Three

Devi

I slowly pulled into the stone driveway. I shifted the gear into park, then pulled the plug on the car. I got out and quickly shut the door.

Alana told me to come to her house right after my final exams were over, leaving me just enough time to get home, change into a pair of slacks and a sweater, and drive over. I was tired, and I had to come over alone. Daniel apparently had to spend the day shooting commercials for his work, meaning I had to come by myself. Regardless, I was content. I was finally going to be able to see my aunt and my little cousin for the first time in ages, why wouldn't I be happy?

As expected, the world's greatest woman answered the door for me.

"I never thought you'd actually come!" She said as she pulled me in by the hand.

"You know I always make time for things that matter." I replied as I entered the grand building.

"That is true." She noted.

I walked with her into the kitchen where she washed her hands, about to prepare some food.

"I'm not the only one here, am I?" I asked. "This is your housewarming party, after all."

"A few special people will be here, you'll see." She said, placing vegetables on an automatic slicer.

I looked at it as it worked its magic, effortlessly cutting up the food. Even though these were staple in most households, Daniel and I still couldn't afford to buy one.

"I'm sorry for not being able to bring anything, Alana." I said as the device's significance made me think about my failure to buy any gifts for her.

"Having you here is enough for me," She said, bringing a bowl of marinated chicken out of the fridge. "You're spec-

The surprise entry of a energetic boy cut her off.

"Devi, Devi!" My cousin yelled, hugging my legs. "You're here!"

"I missed you, kiddo." I said, caressing his soft curly hair.

"Elias, would you mind showing Devi the special person while I work over here?" Alana asked her son.

"A special person?" I asked.

"Come, she's right there!" He said, yanking my wrist as he left the kitchen and into the family room, which was separated from the kitchen by a dining room and living room.

"Right there." He said, looking up at me. We exchanged glances before I saw the person. In a grey armchair, a woman sat, staring at the ground now her. Her hair was almost completely white and braided, lining her back. She wore a salwar kameez, an outfit originating from my father's homeland, but she didn't look like she was from there. She was obviously aged, explaining why she didn't seem to notice us when we entered the room.

"She finally came!" Elias exclaimed, tapping her leg. She slowly looked up, and our eyes locked. I tried to deduce her identity, and even though she was locked away somewhere in my memories, I still didn't know who I was looking at.

"Oh darling, you're so beautiful now." She said, revealing a set of perfectly straight, white teeth, which was very unusual for someone of her age. Someone with a really good job must've gotten them for her. I knelt over, so we were now at eye level.