Nineteen

Chapter nineteen
Corey

I push past the bodies that were huddled together. I no longer acknowledge anyone around me, my mind focused on getting Isla to a safe space. We make it up the steps and the music from the party starts to fade.

"Where are we going?" Isla peeps from behind me, her hold on my hand going tight.

"You'll see."

We enter a room on the second floor. I slide the glass door and walk out onto the balcony. The cool breeze swoops by, causing chills to crawl all over me. There were steps on the side that led up to a roof. I tug onto Isla's arm, getting her to walk before me and up the steps.

"Wow," it leaves her lips the moment we step foot on the roof. There were dim lights, different hues of white flickering over the patio furniture. The sun had set, the dim lights and moonlight being our only source of light on the roof. We were high up enough that the music only made up a faint background noise.

"Not bad, huh?" I look at Isla who's studying the roof, taking in every detail.

"It's great," She makes her way to a long bench that had just a little cushion to make it comfortable. She plops onto it, her eyes still scanning the area. The tension in her body has dissipated and I feel myself a little at rest.

I make my way towards the bench, sitting down next to her. "I've never brought anyone up here before," I say, laying back as she brings herself to lay on my chest. Naturally, my arms encircle her waist, pressing her body against mine. Her scent surrounds me and whatever bit of worry I had in my heart, fades.

There were too many memories up here. I didn't want to risk having someone ruin it so I kept it for myself now.

"Well, I'm honoured, Corey Hayes," Isla tells me, her head on my chest. Her fingers trace my arm, making random, imaginary shapes on my skin.

Her eyes are on the sky but mine's on our surroundings. My dad had put the beach house up for sale and I had no idea when would be the next time I'd get to come up here or if this was my last. "We're losing the beach house."

"What?" She lifts herself up, looking at me. "What do you mean?"

"We've known ever since the divorce. Dad's not bringing in much bank with this coaching thing so we have to sell this place." I tell her and her large brown eyes soften.

"I'm sorry." Her hands go to my cheek and her touch is gentle, comforting. I lean into her touch, allowing myself to seek comfort in her caress.

"My family used to come up here every summer before my mum left. I remember thinking of this place as my haven even though back then the biggest struggle I had was math."

I hadn't understood pressure back then. Now with Dad pushing me for the scholarship, I felt it strong. I hated to admit it because it made me feel like a bad brother, but having to be there for Chance without help was also a huge part of the weight on my shoulders.

I was afraid I would do something to cause an episode or aggravate him when he had one. I was still learning about the disorder, I was bound to make mistakes but I couldn't afford to make them. Not when he doesn't have anyone else at home.

"You couldn't do math?" Isla teases and I shake my head, my smile mirroring hers.

"Not at all," I tell her. She laughs, resting her head back on my chest and I take that as my cue to carry on. "Then, on the last night of each summer, we'd come up here and talk. We'd do that the entire night. Mum would share stories of the cases she took on as a lawyer and Dad would listen like he was one of the kids. It was so different back then." The last few words come out as a whisper.