Fourteen

Chapter fourteen
Corey

Breakfast at Isla's extended to lunch and then a little snack. Her parents were away so I didn't feel as tense as I was the last time I was here and Isaiah was awfully welcoming. It stunned me.

            Before Isla had woken up, Isaiah had kept me company. He introduced me to his girlfriend, Jessica. She's blonde and sweet and a little soft-spoken. Almost a complete contrast from Isaiah.

            I guess that's what they meant by opposites attract.

            Isaiah spoke to me like we had been friends for the longest time, making it easier to talk to him and Chance clicked with him instantly. I think it had something to do with the fact that the both of them enjoyed teasing Isla and I. They spent the entire morning doing it.

            After some time in the art studio, Isla and I walked back into the living room. Even before we could enter, we hear Chance moping about 'one more round' whilst Isaiah boasted about some win. Then we walk in and catch them situated in front of the TV, a game controller in their hands as they played a racing game.

            Jessica cheered Chance on since he's the youngest whilst Isaiah showed no mercy. I liked this guy.

            We end up taking turns to play and began a ranking system. Isla had trashed all of us. I came in second and then Isaiah in third.

            Time flew by as we laughed and I found myself needing to go. It was the first time I thought about skipping practice because all I wanted to do was spend time with her but I didn't want Dad to be right.

            If I was going to pursue whatever I had with Isla, I can't have her become a distraction. I needed to prove myself to Dad. Win a few games and then maybe I can introduce Isla to him.

            I stood at the porch and we were back to not knowing how to say goodbye. So I leaned in, kissing her on the forehead right before leaving.

            I didn't mind taking things slow with her. I didn't want her feeling obligated to kiss me like she needed to give me something because she didn't.

            I told Chance about her taking things slow because of her past and he seemed to understand instantly. I wondered if it had anything to do with what she had told him on the day they met.

            I head to practice and set my things by the bench. I walk onto the field, towards Ricky and Johnathan who were whispering amongst themselves.

            "What are we looking at?" I attempt to follow their gaze, noticing that they were staring at something in the distance.

            "That guy," Ricky starts pointing, barely trying to be discrete. "Wasn't he at the FallHill game a month ago?" Ricky looks at me as he and Johnathan wait for a response.

            It only takes me one glance to spot who they were talking about. "Tyrone?" I cock my head as I look at him staring right at us. Next to him was Clayton. You can barely notice him with Tyrone towering in front of his body.

            Clayton's pointing at something and Tyrone's stance goes broader.

            Wait, was he just pointing me out?

            "You know him?" Johnathan asks, all of our attention still on the two boys that didn't belong in this neighbourhood.

            "No. Just that he was expelled. He used to be the star pitcher, Tyrone Malik." I tell them and their eyes light up with realisation, recognising the name. "What the hell is he doing here?"