Twenty

Chapter twenty
Isla

A part of me is light, like I'm floating as I feel his fingers intertwined with mine. I give one gentle squeeze, telling myself he's here with me and it's bringing emotions I never thought I would feel again through me.

He truly was my light. And I was grateful.

I turn to him and the corners of his mouth are turned up, the warmest smile playing on his lips. His brown eyes glowed as he looked down at me with an endearment that made my toes curl. He leans in, brushing his nose against mine so gently, my insides melt. "My light," He echoes my words softly, his warm breath dancing over my skin. He brushes his lips against mine, bringing butterflies to life from within me, it's wings fluttering against my chest.

Before I could lean in, a loud crash gets the both of us to jolt away from each other, eyes looking far out as if we'd be able to spot where the sound came from.

"What was that?" I look at Corey whose eyes were filled with worry. It made my gut churn. Corey has always been calm. Like what Chance had said, most of the time he'd seem out of place from a situation because he'd always be collected, like nothing could catch him off guard. So this look in his eyes was new.

A ruckus brews from the ground floor and more crashes follow, causing Corey to tense up. "Shit," he lets out under his breath as he stands up. His hand doesn't leave mine so I shadow him as he trots down the steps, onto the balcony and back into the beach house. He's moving so fast, I'm afraid I'll slip.

"What the hell?" Corey yells out the moment his eyes land on the living room. His voice is almost drowned out with the other students shouting over him. Then another crash and Corey's grip on my hand goes tighter as he's taking in what's happening. His feet remained glued to the ground as he assesses the situation.

I peek out from behind him and I see Mendez holding onto Ricky who wasn't here before. Lily's next to Ricky instead of Johnathan which causes confusion to engulf me. Then I catch Johnathan right across from Ricky, Jacob/Jordan helping him up from the ground.

Blood trickles down Johnathan's nose and he wipes his arm over it, smearing it across his face instead of wiping it off. My eyes peel off of his form because I couldn't look at blood for too long.

"I swear to you, I didn't know it was her."

Ricky's breathing. Hard. Like he's about to combust into flames. "Get off me," he growls at Lily who clung onto him and she does what she's told. "Is this what you've been doing when I'm not around?" Ricky finally looks to Johnathan, "screwing my girl?" He says and I start getting a clearer picture.

Johnathan had his tongue down Lily's throat just an hour ago and now she's next to Ricky, apologising with tears running down her cheeks.

My eyes flicker over to Corey who seemed just as confused as me. "I didn't know who she was." Johnathan tries to explain himself but it doesn't work as Ricky pries out of Mendez's hold and charges towards the blonde boy.

Corey jumps from beside me, like something in him had finally made sense of the situation and he lunges towards them. "Enough!" His voice reverberates through the boys and it gets them to stop for one brief moment.

It was like they weren't used to seeing this side of him too. "Both of you, cool off!" He shoves Ricky away from Johnathan. With a grunt, Ricky moves out of the way and out of the house. Lily follows behind him but he doesn't pay much mind to her.