The Effects

I'm already an introvert so being told to stay home as much as possible was great news. I was fine with that.

However, I still have to interact with the world. My job won't close, so we developed a pandemic plan.

Since the flu is endemic, dealing with an actual pandemic was new. There were no guidelines we could follow. There was misinformation and no one really knew what to do or how to handle the outbreak.

Wash your hands. Don't touch your face. Cover your mouth when you cough.

I know people who don't wash their hands after they use the toilet. I know people who just cough without covering their mouths. I know them, and you do, too. It's disgusting.

The arrogance. The callousness. The lack of empathy and compassion.

I changed my attitude because I saw what the disease was doing and I recognized my own carelessness. The people on spring break need a vibe check. The people who don't care, who are going about their lives like it doesn't affect them need a vibe check. Not everything is about you.

Back to the pandemic safety plan. We were told to wash our hands, cover our mouths, etc. We were also told to roll down the windows to ventilate the vehicles. We were told to disinfect our hotel rooms and wear gloves. We were told to bring our own food (I do anyway). Maintain distance between people. Use hand sanitizer. Work from home if we can. We tried. We will do what we can.

I mentioned the overpurchasing to my mental health counselor. I said people were panicking and not thinking clearly and I said people shouldn't buy all of it and she told me that "well it's just you. You aren't buying for a family. My husband goes through a roll a day." My first thought? I'm ashamed to admit this, but it was, well that's not my problem. And no, I'm not buying for a family, but that doesn't mean I don't need things. That doesn't give you the right to take it all. She said she didn't know when paper goods would be back in stock or if or how much, so she bought "a lot." The more goods that are hoarded, the less everyone else can access, and the greater the chance for violence. Remember the US has guns. I was worried about this... If this drags on because the government has been extremely slow to respond, it could come to blows over a can of beans. 

I have this feeling of dread. People are buying guns and ammunition. Americans are an odd bunch. We have this sense of entitled, rugged individualism that is deadly. I don't want to be shot buying a can of beans. I don't want to be stabbed buying a bag of dog food. Americans don't think. They just react. They don't evaluate. They just panic. I thought "well that's not my problem," to someone who will have a harder time. They will need more supplies. I'm not in competition but it feels like it. It's this heightened sense of fear and this scramble to get things before they run out.

Finally places started limited purchases, but this isn't over. Far from it.

I'll admit. I reacted. I didn't evaluate everything. I tried to plan and refocus my thoughts but it's difficult with such low supply. What if I can't get toilet paper in a couple weeks? What if I can't buy bread? What if there are no cans of beans or spaghettios to be found?

I have calmed somewhat, but the American individualism is still strong.

I am really nervous about this.