The Scarcity

I ventured out today. It's Saturday, March 28. There were people around, shopping and going for walks. Social distancing is lost on some people, who stood way too closely. I mean, if I'm the only one in the self-scan, don't choose the one right next to me, OK?

I was looking for toilet paper and hand soap. Just your generic, refill bottle of soap for my bathroom. I checked Kroger. Neither. I checked Walgreens, Fruth, and CVS, and no one had toilet paper or hand soap. I ended up at Walmart, but got what I needed.

The paper goods aisle at Walmart was almost bare. There were about six employees guarding the boxes while three others stocked paper plates and napkins. I went down the cleaning aisle, which was half empty of its supplies, to find 95% of paper towels gone. I saw a pile of toilet paper, with signs saying 'ONE PER CUSTOMER.'

I bought one. Like I've said, it's just me. But families? How are families supposed to deal with this? Of course there are ways around it. One parent goes in separately, then the other. Maybe a couple times a day. I don't know. It's a time of scarcity on toilet paper, which sounds like a joke.

The grocery store wasn't too terrible. There was plenty of produce and bread, but meat selection was down to nothing. Admittedly, I'm not a big consumer of meat. There was milk and juice, and the eggs were stocked. Canned goods were fairly well-stocked but there were some empty shelves. Pasta was almost gone, except for the super expensive brands.

The paper goods aisle? Empty.

UPDATE
I started this chapter a week ago and didn't finish. I'll just publish this as it is and continue with the next.