•Chapter Seventeen•

•Kireina's P.O.V•

The next day, Sakura and I were sitting down, watching the workers build the bridge as Tazuna came by.

"So, what happened to the blond boy and that stuck up boy?" He asked.

"They're in the middle of the tree-climbing training." Sakura replied.

"You girls don't have to do that?"

"I'm exceptional, so Kakashi Sensei told me to guard you." Sakura boasted.

"Really?" Tazuna asked, not believing her. I started laughing,

"No, she's not exceptional! We were sent here to guard in case anything happened." I said laughing. Sakura looked ticked off as Tazuna walked away laughing.

We overheard one of the helpers named Giichi, tell Tazuna that he was quitting because he didn't want to be seeked out by Gato and his men.

"This is our bridge. This is the bridge that everyone in town has built believing that it would generate distribution and transportation for this poor land of waves that has few resources." Tazuna said.

"But if it goes so far as to take our lives..." Giichi trailed off.

"It's already afternoon. Let's call it a day." Tazuna said walking away "Giichi... you don't have to come back tomorrow.

~~~~~~~

Tazuna, Sakura, and I were walking back home when Sakura spoke up.

"Say, where are we going?"

"I was asked to get some ingredients for dinner on the way home..." Tazuna said. As i looked around I noticed just how bad this town looked. People begging for work and kids stealing.

"We're here." Tazuna said walking inside a building. There was barely any food on the shelves.

"You pervert!!" Sakura yelled behind us as she roundhouse kicked a man.

"You're... wrong..." The man faintly mumbled. I broke down in tears by how funny this day was.

~~~~~~~

"Man, i was surprised earlier." Tazuna said while we walked back to his house.

"What's going on with this town?! Hey, You-!" She yelled at a little kid before stopping.

"Gimme some!" The kid said while holding out her arms. Sakura reached into her bag and took out some candy. I gave an apple too, since i didn't really need it. The kid thanked us and ran away.

"This is how it's been ever since Gato showed up. Here, all the adults have turned into cowards. So that's why now that bridge is necessary... it's a symbol of bravery... in order to restore their spirit, so they don't keep running away... for the people of this land who have set their minds on remaining passive. If we can just... complete that bridge, this town will return to how it once was and everyone will come back."

I looked at all the people and then back at Tazuna. "Alright... i'll help you." I said as i looked back to the kids begging outside the shops.