Chapter 5- Back home

For a while we were like Norman's assistants. We were waiting on him and so was Mama. He had to go to the hospital every other week.

"Anne, would you bring me some water?", asked Norman.

"Yes darling.",Mama replied. Mama got some water and brought it to Norman. Meanwhile Ali and I were in the playroom.

"Ali lets draw pictures for Mama and Norman for Christmas!", I suggested.

"Uh-huh!", She agreed. We got paper and crayons and started to draw. With Christmas time near Mama had shopping to due. She called up her best friend Eleanor.

"Hey there Eleanor!"

"Anne! How are ya'?"

"I'm good! Whatcha doin over there?"

"Ahh, Imma fixin' a snack for James."

"You wanna go Christmas shoppin'?"

"Ah course. I do girl, ya know I love to spend!"

"Just come on over later and I'll talk to you later!"

"See you then"

Eleanor was a sweet lady, she was relatively older then mama. She was middle class and had 3 kids with kids. Eleanor was married to James, a very large man with a face full of hair. He wasn't the greatest, He was a grumpy old fisherman.

     Eleanor pulled up in the drive way with her shiny red Buick a little later. She got out and waved at the window. Mama was sitting waiting for her. Mama went out side.

"Hey Mrs.Rigby" Mama said to Eleanor

"Hey Mrs.Bryant!" Eleanor said.

"Shall we go?" Mama asked.

"Course hop on in. Book's with that British man got ya' talkin' nice and proper." laughed Eleanor.

"C'mon now don't talk bout him." Mama said. They drove to all the stores in town. When they got back Mama got her stuff from the trunk and said bye, walked in the house.

"Hey mama, look what I drew for Norman." I said. Showing mama the picture.

"Nice! Where's Norman and Ali?" she asked.

"Ali is in the playroom and Norman is sleeping." I replied.

"I better check on him. Go play." She said. She walked up the stairs and down the hallway. It had pictures of Norman, Mama, Ali and I in gold frames. The walls were a tan creme colour. There was some white cushioned chairs along the walls with dark oak accent tables with vases and urns of the Grangers that were before Norman and Ali. When she walked in SHE saw Norman laying in the large bed with silk linens. Norman's light brown hair was messy and he face un-shaved.

   "Norman!" Mama sang sweetly as she pranced around the dark red room. She placed more logs on the fire and strained up some of the pillows on the couches. She walked over to Norman and shook him. "wake up!". She felt his pulse, He wasn't dead but it wasn't beating normally.

     "Kids get in the car!", Mama yelled. She grabbed Norman and walked down to the car. She drove to the E.R. Then a squirrel ran across the road and Mama swerved over, almost running into a ditch.

      "Y'all alright?", Mama asked

       "We're fine Mama!", I said.

      "Anne what's wrong with daddy?!", Ali cried.

      "Honey I don't know.", Mama replied. I put my arm around Ali and gave her a hug.

        "Please don't die daddy!", Ali cried.

Authors note. Please vote and comment your opinions. I love you all that have stuck with this story I asked you keep reading and follow me for more. God bless! (:)