Prologue: The Story

Prologue: The Story

A long time ago, after the great turf war, Inklings and Octolings remained distant for quite a while. Octolings recently found their way into inkopolis, but their existence was more of hiding than actual living. Eventually however, the squidbeak splatoon decided that peace should be made after captain cuttlefish proved that octolings could be trusted...though most other inklings believed octolings were just inklings with weird hair. Soon, new species began flooding the square, and eventually a new area was created to that everyone could hang out together. Inkopolis was big enough to hold many citizens, sure, but there was nothing wrong with creating a new central for everyone, seeing as how Inkopolis Plaza and Inkopolis Square had switched like such before.

The new area was called Inkopolis Streets, and its most popular sport was surprisingly not turf war. It was called Splatter Royale, a mode where players would focus on getting weapons and specials to aid in their combat. It was created by an inkling called The "DEV", as well as his group of workers, all of which monitored the games for fairness vs hackers. In Splatter Royale, players were already equipped with an ink tank upon starting, as well as a splattershot jr. They had anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to eliminate everyone else. There was no direct penalty for losing, as you didn't lose money or privileges of any kind.

However, you would rank down, and ranks meant almost everything in this sport. There were currently about 1,000 people in the streets, though in the past the number had fluctuated greatly. There was no "bottom rank", since nobody could pick a set number because of the changing population. However, lower ranks were still considered the...lesser of the players, and were sometimes prone to bullying. It was not a major issue, however, since most fights were stoped before they could escalate further.

Inkopolis streets held a variety of species now, ranging from humanoid species to non humanoid species. Anyone could play the game, since almost everything was randomly generated. Of course, battles were still about wit and tactics, since you needed to know what you were doing. Some people thought the battles were unfair, but some simply said that was how it worked. All in all however, no major uprisings were created.

Inkopolis Streets lasted for hundreds of years, and every single day it was the same thing, over and over. Few interesting occurrences ever happened, but most people were content with their life. The DEV made changes to the game as he needed to, as he had control over what went on. Idols from other areas of inkopolis would sometimes stop by and perform for events. Everything was fine.

Everything was...

Average.

But all of that was about to change.

And it started...

When a kid decided he wanted to be a king when he grew up.