Epilogue: It's Not Over Yet...

A week had passed since Rona's win against Celine. Even though it was technically Rex's, Rex had insisted that people refer to Rona when talking about it. He'd gotten plenty of fans asking him about it, even though it was only one win. Rex could tell that nobody wanted to interact with Rona much because of his arrogance and boasting, but Rona had indeed won that match. Of course, the duo had planned such a thing, but...he at least deserved SOME credit.

Him and Rona were out to lunch at the moment. They'd had some more practice time at Splatter Royale, and Celine surprisingly hadn't shown up in any of their matches. They didn't entirely want her back of course, but it was nice to actually play a little more casually. Of course, Rona still played it competitively, but Rex had fun teaching him the mechanics of everything. He liked Rona's determination to rise to the top.

"What do you wanna do after this?" Rex asked.

"I dunno man, these sandwiches are pretty good..."

"Well, you can't blow all your money on this, yaknow."

"I'd take that as a dare, but I'm actually starting to get full so yeah, you're right."

The two had a bit of a laugh. The room was filled with chatter, so it wasn't like they were bothering anyone.

"Eh, in all seriousness though, I probably just wanna go for a walk. Explore this place a little more than what I've seen already," Rona said.

"Oh right! I could help you around some parts of Inkopolis Streets, but I uh...haven't really explored much myself, despite staying here for some years. Guess it's just what happens when your older brother leaves ya to do...whatever he does."

"Oh yeah, what's your older brother like? I have one, and he's always watching over me..." Rona muttered.

"Well he's...kinda like you. Loud n' proud, arrogant a little, determined to be strong in Splatter Royale matches...only difference is his body shape and background, probably!"

"What is he, a cohock or something? I've heard there are different kinds of salmonids..."

"I dunno, I never asked. I'll see if I can next time," Rex replied, making a mental note about it.

"Eh, you don't have to. I'm finished eating, by the way, did you wanna get a dessert or should we just go?"

"Do you want anything?"

"Eh. We could split something."

"Sure!"

The two were still best friends. They hoped their bond would last for as long as possible. Nothing would get in between them, nothing would knock them down. They couldn't wait to keep training so that they could possibly try and take on the top ten for real. That was their goal.

And they were going to do it.

-----

An octoling sat in the corner of the cafe room, menu hiding their face. They had dark skin, and white ink. Nobody was sitting near them. Slowly, they lowered the menu to look at Rona and Rex talking away. They pushed up their glasses and mumbled to themselves, a voice so low that nobody else could hear.

"One day. One day, I will knock you off of your moral high horse, and it will hurt."