The Match Starts!

Chapter 4: The Match Starts!

Eventually, a bus came and picked everyone up. They were all driven to the Splat Royale area and dropped off, where they then loaded into the lobby to start a match. Rona was ready for this, shrugging off the weird looks the other participants gave him. He'd prove to them all he could do something. As everyone was eventually brought to the field, Rona could hear Celine speaking to him before everyone was split up and spread out.

"Let's see if you actually bite instead of bark all the time."

Oh, he'd prove that, alright!

Rona and everyone else were given a Splattershot jr. as a starting weapon. He'd seen matches before where people tried so win the whole match by just using these, and some of them were pretty good. However, even though beating Celine without changing weapons would be AMAZING, Rona didn't plan on doing that. He immediately started looking around for places that might contain better materials, since he was alone right now and he needed to be prepared. He was in a grassy field, with an open blue sky and a few trees here and there.

He wasn't looking for any specific weapon in particular, he just needed weapon diversity. Even though he preferred shooting weapons, anything would do. He waded through the grass, paying attention to surroundings to see who else was around. There wasn't much to pick up around here other than rocks, which would probably be ammo for slingshots or something. Rona also couldn't charge his special because specials were gotten through openable metal cans in this game.

He'd remembered people asking Dev to make changes to the game and allow them to charge their special, though. Not like it mattered since Ink Armor was a bad special weapon anyway. As Rona came to a more open field, he noticed a bunch of people already going at it with different weapons. There were people he remembered seeing, such as that manta ray with a skeletal aesthetic and that clown person. There were also people with armor on, but no full sets yet.

As much as Rona wanted to join in, he then noticed a tall structure out of the corner of his eye.

There was a town area in the distance, and Rona figured there would be more loot there than here, so he headed over. He could see a few other players fighting around him as he went down the grassy hill, but he decided not to bother. Kill steals would be nice, but he was still ill equipped to do so. As he neared the area, he could see several wooden buildings with players hopping around on them. There was also some strange looking Rayling with a cryptid/cottagecore theme standing on a tower nearby with a splat charger.

They had potions tied around them, but Rona couldn't tell if those were actual items or just a vanity thing. Either way, he'd have to find a way around them, since they had the distance advantage. He had no materials to get himself up to their height, but then he noticed another player approaching them. They caught the Rayling off guard with a shot from their blaster weapon, causing the ray to get knocked back towards the edge of the platform. The opposing player then grabbed ahold of the ray's shirt, and threw them off the platform, sending them falling down to the ground below.

Rona saw his chance.

He quickly rolled a splat bomb to the area where the player was going to land, and just like that, they were splatted and out. Rona immediately made a dash for the materials since he figured the other person could jump down and snag some too. Using his ink, he sped over and snagged a bunch of things all together before leaving the area. As he'd predicted, that other player had jumped down to get the items, but Rona had hidden himself in an alleyway before they could go after him. Quickly, he began shuffling through the items he'd gotten.

A splat charger, some healing potions, wood planks, and some weird looking ball items that were supposedly used for smokescreens. Well, not bad. Rona got up and looked around the place, making sure nobody was watching him before running out into the town's streets. He could hear footsteps behind him though, and turning around he saw that player from before running after him with a Grim Range blaster in their hand. Shoot, they were onto him when he thought he'd gotten away! He had to do something about this...

Rona then got an idea. He readied those smoke bombs he'd gotten from before in his hand, and threw them down behind him. He then threw in a splat bomb as he inked his way off to the side to hide in another alleyway. He couldn't really hear much as he sped off, so he swam as fast as he could to loop around and see what had happened. As he got back to the smokey area, he could see it clearing just in time to reveal items on the ground and an ink splatter.

He'd splatted the player! Rona once again quickly swam over to nab all the loot before retracting back into the alleys. He'd gotten their blaster, but because of game rules, people were currently limited to 3 turf weapons total. If you lost one, that spot would open up and you could get a new weapon. But other than the blaster, that person had some sort of spring that let you jump higher and reach places, as well as a crowbar for tearing at things. Not bad, if Rona did said so himself.

He then checked the status of the field. So far, 30 of the 100 people total were taken out. So he HAD taken out people after all! He sure felt good about this. Up ahead were some grassy hills, and Rona would've avoided the place if he hadn't seen a flash of pink go by. It could be anyone, but might as well see if it was Celine.

He believed he was ready to fight.