Not my idea of a birthday party...

My words rang in the inky blackness. The silence was as insufferable as the words that I knew were soon to come.
"Why, to wish you a Happy Birthday of course!" Lycaon laughed - although it sounded more like a cat drowning.
"If I were you, I would get out of here before we have to kick your ass." Eva shrugged, brow raised as if daring him to object. He did.
"Oh. A threat. How terrifying." His tone dripped with sarcasm, and he let out that screeching laugh again.

"So is that your plan?" I asked, slowly regaining my confidence,

He frowned, "What?"

"To laugh until our ears bleed to death,"

His expression turned to stone. His voice became cold and icy. "Enough games. Get them."

Imagine having every limb on your body being chopped off. Now multiply that pain by 10. Thats how much it hurt when the wolves pounced.

Their razor sharp teeth shredded what remained of our tents. They snapped at our ankles, tearing the hems of Eva's silver jeans. Kat tried shooting arrows blindly at the ever growing pack, but they were too fast and dodged them with a single bound. The strong winds kept me glued to the ground, although my mind was telling me to run for my life. I tried to fend the mass of grey fur off with my daggers but they just head butted them out of the way.

Their snarls and growls filled every inch of me with fear, just the way they always had done. Robyn was crouched next to me panting. She grabbed my arm and yanked me to the cover of a tree,

"Lyra, what's going on?! How do you know him?" I just curled up into a ball on the forest floor and shook my head. Suddenly a growl shook my eardrums and I looked up to see the man/wolf himself, Lycaon, standing over me, grinning.