Prologue

Valentina Grey

Valentina Grey

My footsteps echoed along the road. The quick click of my heels against the pavement expressed the urgency which I was in.

I kept my eyes on the man in front of me, the face of the Russian mafia, I wasn't used to doing missions assigned to my team alone, but I had to, for my friend Nefeti who was shot on a mission _I couldn't see the target's guard and he shot my friend who was now in a deep slumber_ the academy's doctors weren't sure she'd wake up, the only hope they had was her receiving vampire blood early, But it's risky with mercury because you never know what would happen, however, I continued hoping.

But it wasn't until I received a text message on my phone that Nefeti awoke that I completely ignore. 

Looking back at the target, I noticed he was conversing with the neighborhood drug dealer, but why would a mafia man require drugs from a simple drug dealer?

I shrugged and entered the room next to them, the man's bedroom, where he couldn't see me. I thanked God for the hours upon hours I had to spend in stealth class, sat on the bed, and let my black dress reveal my gun, which was strapped to my thigh, and waited for the man to finally come inside.

He came in after a few minutes, completely unaware of my presence on his bed, and hung his suit jacket on a hanger beside the door. Suddenly, the man noticed me, sitting in the shadows of the bed, the moonlight shining on my face, revealing my sharp gray eyes, the man cursed under his breath and gave me a smirk.

"What do you need, Valentina?" Dimitri stated smugly as he sat in the chair in front of me and lighted his cigarette.

"Surprise! I've returned from the grave, isn't that impressive?" I said with a sarcastic tone, a grin on my face the entire time, my eyes holding the lunacy I harbored.

"I'll kill you," he declared, and I knew he sucked at the whole process; he was perhaps the easiest target I'd ever had.

I exhaled a sigh "God, you're impossible and dull; if you want to appear even remotely threatening, don't resort to hollow threats. Describe how you intend to harm me. The way you're going to destroy everything I believe in, "As I stood up with the gun in my hand, I said.

As I walked towards him, I spotted a silhouette of a person standing in the room's shadows out of the corner of my eye.

When I came to him, I stroked his jawline with my fingertip, smirked, and then asked, "Who's that?" I pointed my pistol at the silhouette.

"My right hand, someone you don't want to mess with," he said, and I looked at him curiously before shrugging and firing at him in the leg, hearing him hiss, muttering under his breath while seeing him grasping his leg firmly.

"You little bitch, do it again and I'll toss you off the balcony," he said, and I laughed. I walked up to the railing and peered down. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"Seeing how high it is," I replied, smirking, "I can handle it." I then fired his right hand between his eyes, hearing him collapse to the ground.

"You're insane," he exclaimed, and I laughed.

"I know, isn't it wonderful?" He groaned and pulled the revolver from his back pocket.

"You know I kinda admired you, Valentina," he said as he fired the pistol, only for me to sprint up to him, and in a moment, I had him just where I wanted him, my hands around his throat, and him off the ground.

He gasped and grasped my hands, attempting to push them apart, frantic for oxygen, I laughed "it's so easy to shut you up," he moved around trying to get free of my grip.

"w-w...h at a-are yo-ou?" He gasped, I turned my hands into claws and my eyes into the hue of the moon.

"That's not important, goodbye Dimitri, see you in hell," I murmured as I sank my claws into his Carotid artery and set him down, closed his eyes once the life departed them.

I turned and headed downstairs, nodding to Atlas who was enjoying a cocktail at the bar, he smiled and moved up to me, I scanned about and found no threats, Atlas's hands on my waist made me tense "it's me Atlas, calm down" I sighed and we proceeded to the back of the mansion.

Atlas led me to the motorcycle, where we both seated. He put the helmet on my head and started the machine after he put his on.

We were on the highway in an instant, my hands were wrapped around his waist, my dress was all over the place, the wind blew and messed up my hair, I groaned and glanced at Atlas, he was frowning while staring at the road, "Stop frowning, you'll get wrinkles," I told him, and he smiled.

"Yes, princess," he said with a smile, and I rolled my eyes.

His eyes like the warmth of the sun, seductive, I was drawn to them every time I looked at him, rich brown ornamented his pupil, his brown hair was all over the place, the curling locks silky, he was attractive, I think it was the charm of being a vampire, such flawless creatures.

"Are you checking me out, princess?" he teased, and I bit back a snort.

"Whatever gets you to sleep at night, bunny," he laughed.

We enjoyed each other's company for the rest of the ride, knowing that once we arrived at the academy, we'd be overwhelmed with responsibilities and would have to take turns watching Nefeti.

We had no idea she had awoken.

When we arrived, we hugged, "See you tomorrow, bunny," I waved, a smile on my face.

"See you" I stepped into the academy, ready for a nice night's sleep, pushing the thoughts of reporting to Sloxia to the back of my mind.