1. Hands Behind My Back

"Amber, you must learn now." her father says, pointing her to sit down on the couch in his office.

"You are now 8. You must learn that there is no one who will take care of you. This is the real world. Not those video games that you love to play. Everyone must fend for themselves. If you do not succeed or excel, you will fall and you will not survive. Now leave. Go to your room and go to sleep."

I stand up and walk away. I open the door to my room and face plant into my bed. I feel a tingling sensation on my arm so I scratch it. It still doesn't go away so I look at my arm to see doddles appearing. I smile but wonder what is happening.

Then I remember when my mother told me about this thing called Skin Bond. She had said it was a way to communicate with my soulmate.

"Hi, I'm Kim JungWoo" appeared in Korean. It appeared in almost neat curly writing. I grab a pen and write on my arm.

"I'm Amber Liu." I write as neat as possible in my favorite purple pen. It writes in PURPLE!!!

"Is that Korean?" It says.

"Taiwanese. But I understand Korean too."

"Cool!"

"Yeah, it kind of is." I write back, smiling.

"I actually forgot about the skin bond when I was drawing on my arm..." It says. I can almost feel the person's shyness.

"It's fine. I'm glad you finally wrote."

"Me too. Now I can have someone to talk to when I'm bored!"

"Me too. But I have to ask of your a boy or girl. I know that JungWoo is a unisex name."

"I'm a boy. Amber is a girl name, right?"

"It is. How old are you?" I ask.

"I'm 5. What about you?"

"I'm 8. I'm older!!!! YAYYYY!!!!"

^(•×•)^

That was 12 years ago.

About 5 years ago, JungWoo stopped writing. Everyday, I write trying to talk to him. I never get a reply.

We used to stay up all night, talking about anything, everything and nothing.

Everytime my father sees me writing on my arm, he slaps the pen out of my hand.

"Stop it! That bond is useless!" He screams and then has me do more paper work.

I finish my work for the night and look out the floor length window that runs the whole wall. I watch as the city lights twinkle against the jet black, night sky.

I shut down my laptop and grab my bag, putting it away in the briefcase. I put everything else I need in it and zip it shut. I grab my jacket and slip it on. I grab the bag and put it on my shoulder.

I turn off the light and exit the door, letting it shut behind me. I pull out my keys and lock the door before walking to the elevator.

I quickly get on and wait for it to go down. I exit the building saying goodnight to the night time security guards.

I begin my walk home watching the cars drive past and the night time animals run around. I continue walking as I start to hum to the song Twilight by Oneus.