Chapter 3

Evergreen awoke to full brightness. She shut her eyes tight, unable to bear the hot air and the brightness that hurt her eyes and mind. Something folded around her scales, nice and scaly. She needed to get out, she knew it was time.

Dragons need me.

She pushed against the warm and bright wall until it gave way, and she landed on the hard stone floor. She winced and opened her eyes as something flapped behind her, on her back. She blinked for a few moments then looked behind her, rubbing her head. She almost shrieked with glee.

Her wings had unfolded gracefully. There were four wings, but they were leaf-shaped. A good shade of dark green wings added to Evergreen making her look like a Silkwing-Leafwing hybrid even more. 

Evergreen glanced at her wrists, where globes of fire were still burning bright under her scales. She stood up and folded her wings and peeked outside the cave. It was nighttime, but then wings enveloped her and black and gold scales hugged Evergreen tight.

"Hello Honeydew," Evergreen whispered, holding his arms.

"Your wings are gorgeous," Honeydew whispered. He grinned and brushed his wings with her's. Evergreen smiled shyly. He handed Evergreen a jar of Lemon Honey and glanced at Evergreen's wings. She unfurled them and began eating the honey.

"No sleeping tonight?" Evergreen asked as Honeydew settled down beside her.

"No," Honeydew spread his wings quietly and held her talons, "You're not going to sleep either. I was just excited to see you.." He blushed and stammered, "I-I mean, your transformation of your wings and silk."

Evergreen giggled. She liked Honeydew's pleasing expression as well as his skilled combat. But she kind of felt the chill of Honeydew liking her, but she didn't mind. She joined her talons with him and she leaned onto him. 

"Want to go flying?" Evergreen asked after a while.

Honeydew looked uncertain. He hesitated, then looked outside.

"The Hivewing scouts usually stops hunting for escapees during nighttime, but there's a storm out there. Are you sure?" Honeydew asked.

"We have flamesilk and great attacking dragonets don't we?" Evergreen said, "Come on, nothing to be afraid of! I just want to see my wings!"

Honeydew sighed, "Alright."

They crept out of the tunnel and through the vines. Heavy rain splattered on Evergreen's wings, body and snout. In seconds Honeydew and Evergreen were wet from horns to tail. Evergreen didn't mind as she soared through the clouds and the rain. It felt so nice, the speed, the freedom she was feeling. She caught each wind and flew past Honeydew, who laughed and caught his breath. 

Suddenly talons caught her neck and she shrieked in pain as she struggled, kicking the dragon who held her and flapping her wings frantically. Flamesilk spilled out of her wrist and enveloped the dragon, but then it missed and wound around her horn to tail, tangling her up. She screamed and shouted, even when its muffled she wished Honeydew heard her, but then saw a dragonet figure fighting other dragons in the storm. Suddenly another dragon took the opportunity and talons wrapped around her snout, and then she was pulled into nothingness.

Evergreen woke up in a nest and she leapt up frantically, remembering what had happened. She tried to spread her wings, ready to take flight and leave this place, but then she couldn't. Evergreen twisted her head to look at her wings to find metal clamps binding her wings so she couldn't fly. She even found a metal band clamped over her wrist where the flamesilk comes out.

Stupid Hivewings..but what is this place?

Evergreen stepped down the nest and wandered around. There were Silkwings all over the place, some asleep, some chatting, but none of them had wing clamps.

So why do I have them?

I'm an idiot. Because I'm in a lot of trouble, that's why. They are just brought here without resisting, I'm the one who resisted.

I hope Honeydew is alright.

"Oi."

Evergreen spun around and bared her fangs as a Hivewing guard stepped up to her. He glared at her.

"Silk, now," the Hivewing snapped. He placed a cauldron in front of Evergreen and took off the metal around her wrist. Evergreen hissed and forced her flamesilk into the cauldron. As she did it she stopped for a moment, looked up, and then she suddenly lunged, fast enough so the Hivewing didn't react fast enough. 

She grabbed the cauldron and smacked it into the Hivewing's snout. The Hivewing shrieked and screamed and fell back, and Evergreen ran. She burned a hole in the wooden wall and was about to climb out when talons grabbed her tail and flung her back into the flamesilk warehouse. She shrieked and spun around to drive her claw into the Hivewing's neck, scratching it. She kicked and thrashed and managed to throw off two guards, but the third and last guard was too strong. She looked into the guard's eyes and realized they were white. No wonder he's so strong, Wasp is probably is, not him.

Evergreen used the last of her strength and punched Wasp in the snout. Wasp howled and threw her back, and she dove towards the hole but was wrenched out again. Wasp held her wings tight and she fought, flamesilk pouring out of her wrist to entangle Wasp. Wasp roared and let go, and then she was out of the guard's mind, leaving the guard lying. She threw herself into the hole and clambered in just in time before the Hivewings got there.

Evergreen leapt into the air, beating her wings as fast as she could. Hivewings were gathering up from the Hives on her, she had to fly fast. But then she wasn't very lucky. A Hivewing leapt onto her back and dug his claws into her back and she yelped. She spun in the air and he was thrown off and she kept flying. Acid sizzled right past her ear and she swerved in the air, losing balance at fright.

Suddenly she was knocked forward and felt more jabbing and stinging claws dig down on her scales. She was pinned down against a Hive as one Hivewing came up to her, white-eyed.

"So, illegal dragonet, you've caused many trouble right now," Wasp hissed. She made the Hivewing stab his stinger on his wrist into her neck, stinging her muscles and her vocal cords. Evergreen's head drooped and she couldn't scream, although she was really tempted to. Another drove his stinger into her wings and her wings stopped moving. She was dragged into Cicada Hive's prisons as she watched the floor scrape her scales all the way. She wanted to look up to see where she was, but she couldn't. They threw her into an open cell and locked the door, clipping a metal band around her wrist where the flamesilk came.

"You're such a small dragonet to cause SO MUCH trouble," Wasp said, her lips curling into a smile as she made a guard speak, "I thought you would be a nice and obeying Flamesilk once I stick you into our caverns. Guess I was wrong.

"But this time you're getting an advantage, being able to be controlled by me. You can obey me without your will and you won't be in much trouble anymore, isn't that amazing?"

Evergreen couldn't speak as the guards stepped away as she fell back against the wall. Wasp was coming, on her way to make Evergreen the same like other Hivewings, being able to be mind controlled by Wasp. She clutched the ground as she laid on the floor miserably.

I have to find a way out, I have to, or else everything else ends.