Chapter 6

Evergreen woke up with a start to hearing a crash through the cave. She sat up and ran to the entrance, where three Hivewing guards with white eyes were poised at the door, their stingers raised menacingly.

We've been found, Evergreen thought.

Honeydew roared and leapt at one, stabbing them quickly with his wrist stinger and pushing them out the entrance and off the cave. Lavender and Evergreen held their wrists and flamesilk poured out, Evergreen knowing this time that she wouldn't get tangled. Their burning silk missed Honeydew and Iris and wrapped around the guards of Wasp, and they heard Wasp shriek with pain. As they fell, Iris and Honeydew leapt on them and kept them down. Their eyes flickered in and out.

"OW," one of them roared. Lavender and Evergreen leapt forward and quickly took off the flamesilk from both guards, who was sitting up. The flamesilk had given them bad burns, and Iris reached for her healing pouch but hesitated.

"Where am I," the other guard sat up groggily, rubbing her snout. She winced at the pain from her burns. Her eyes widened.

"Do you support Wasp," Honeydew hissed, tipping her snout up. Iris glared at the other guard.

"N-not really," the first guard stammered, "We are the ones who are mostly controlled by her, so we end up with a lot of injuries." He showed them a scar on his side and another scar over his neck. The female guard lifted her talons so they could see the burn scars over them.

Iris muttered something that Evergreen couldn't pick up, as she dropped some liquid over the guards' burns. The guards said thanks and they stood up.

"Thank you dragonets for saving us," said the female guard, "My name is Lacewing and this guard over here is Stonefly. We will keep your location a secret in return for healing us, and we will not expose you. But because Wasp had seen you guys through our minds, you guys will need to find another area to hide."

"We will continue to work for her, as we cannot do much to help you guys since we are in her control, but we wish you luck and defeat her control," Stonefly added.

Honeydew, Lavender, Evergreen and Iris bowed the guards from the cave as they flew away.

"Well I didn't expect that," Iris sighed, putting her liquid jar back into her pouch.

"I did," Evergreen admitted, "Of course there are Hivewings who are sometimes against the queen but doesn't get too much control of themselves." Honeydew and Lavender nodded.

"Welp, I guess we have to move. Wasp's forces should be here in moments," Honeydew growled.

But the crash through their entrances once again told them, that the Hivewings were there already.

"RUN!" Lavender shouted as the Hivewings stormed in, white eyed and furious.

Evergreen followed her friends and crouched into a tunnel that the dragonets could fit in. Suddenly Evergreen dropped off the tunnel into a river and she resurfaced, paddling the water.

"We have to swim!" Honeydew cried, diving into the river. Evergreen groaned, took a deep breath, and dived in, following his tail through the river. She felt a current push her forwards at the same time as she paddled as fast as she could. Finally when she felt like her lung was going to burst, she found herself swimming into open waters and she finally resurfaced, breathing all the air into her lungs.

"Over here!"

Evergreen heard Iris's call and swam towards the shore where her friends where at. They had swam into the open ocean, miles away from their cave.

"Well that helped," Evergreen gasped for air and laid down.

"Was the point when we found it. Now where are we going to hide, I'm freezing," Lavender shivered and flamesilk enveloped out of her wrist to entangle her body, and she sank down in the wet sand again, breathing heavily. Evergreen did the same to Honeydew and Iris, making sure they're warm, and did it to herself. They all relaxed for a moment and the sun began to set.

"Flamesilk would be seen easily in the dark, we have to find a cave," Honeydew stood up, gathering up the flamesilk from everyone before putting it in Iris's jar.

They flew under the rainy moonlight, for miles and miles, and when they neared Mantis Hive they finally found a cave at the shores and hid in it, boarding it up with boulders and plants before settling down, lighting up the cave with a little bit of flamesilk.

"Farther away from Poison Jungle and the connection between the Leafwings and us, that's just great," Iris muttered as she flopped down at the cave walls.

Evergreen couldn't speak. Her wings were sore and ached badly, and her talons felt tingly and wet from flying in the rain for what seemed like years. She felt weak and hungry, even after she ate a lot of honey and yam, and felt exhausted.

"Let's rest first, and talk about all of this later," Lavender said, "I'm VERY TIRED right now!"

As they settled in the cave about, with Lavender putting out the flamesilk, Evergreen wished her parents were safe, and they were safe as well, and the guards good luck. It didn't take her long before she drifted into a long sleep.