Chapter 5

Evergreen left the Leafwing Village the next day, along with a small pouch the healing Leafwing gave her, which later she learned his name was Larkspur. Inside of the pouch contained many small bottles and jars with different types of flowers, plants and pollen. Quickly Evergreen managed to memorize all the effects that each plant and pollen does as Larkspur told her. 

She knew where her friends were. The Leafwing messenger came back with a note from Iris saying that they're meeting her in the original cave. Evergreen hoped they haven't figured out what had happened to her. She had healed her injuries and her burn was healing, but she could take an excuse saying she had an accident with her flamesilk.

It was the middle of a foggy rainstorm at night, and Evergreen wore a silk cape to cover her. She spread her wings as she rested on a rock, which were already tired from the battle with the wind. They ached as they flapped in the wind, opened to stay balanced. Evergreen took a deep breath and flew on, his wings screaming with exhaustion again.

When she felt that her wings were going to fall off, losing all the feeling and life, she finally caught a glimpse of the familiar cave on the cliff. She lurched towards the cave, eyeing the vine-covered tunnel, and her wings lost the feeling as she gripped the wet and slippery rock, scrabbling towards the tunnel. A sharp rock stabbed into her scarred palm and at this point she wasn't sure if she had tears or not and the blood swirled from under her palm and slipped into the wet rocks. She threw open the vines and wrestled herself in the tunnel with all her might, dragging the ripped silk cape after her before collapsing in the cave, breathing heavily. She felt warm black and gold wings envelop her and she sank down, relaxing for the first time in days.

"I'm back," Evergreen whispered, smiling. Honeydew helped her sit up and fed her more yams, rubbing her wings and twining tails.

"How are you doing? You didn't get caught or anything?" Honeydew asked. His eyes flickered to the bleeding stab and burn on her palm and he frowned, lifting it. Evergreen winced softly, "Wow, what did you do?" Honeydew asked.

"Accident with my flamesilk and a sharp rock," Evergreen muttered.

"That's a large amount of damage," Iris said with a grimace, who stepped into the cave and her tail flicked in displeasure. She reached into her pouch hung around her neck, took out a patch of moss and a jar of liquid that smelled unpleasant, and dabbed it on her wound. She gritted her teeth in pain as Iris dabbed the damp moss onto her palm. After that Iris took out some white cloth and wrapped it around Evergreen's palm.

"Where did you get that?" Honeydew asked.

"Stole it from a Hivewing Clinic," Iris shrugged and took out more bottles of liquid from her pouch. Evergreen felt a stab of guilt for the Hivewings or Silkwings who worked hard to make medicine, as she had read that medicines were expensive and hard to make.

"Don't worry," Lavender came by and nudged Evergreen with an arm, "I left them flamesilk to pay them. That kind of flamesilk would last them a whole moon cycle, so it's worth it. And I did leave them a whole jar of them."

Evergreen felt better. She would probably donate her flamesilk or when stealing would pay it back with her own flamesilk. It feels nice to give something bad, as to her stealing is terrible.

Iris had no connection with the Leafwing Plan, whatever it is, and even Evergreen's parents could not grab hold of any information, as they hid in the Poison Jungle and lived with the other Leafwings. The Hivewings never suspected the Leafwings to live there, so Evergreen's parents were safe in the Poison Jungle. But they had no plans right now, as Wasp Hive and Jewel Hive were going through another Leafwing attack and more fighters, Iris decided it was the best to stay in the cave until further notices.