Chapter 7

"Tyler," Kinsey said, entering the foyer from the drawing room. "We got a problem."

"Another one?" Tyler groaned.

"Yep, Curiosity went through the Ghost Door."

"Shit." Tyler thought for a moment. "Okay, you stay here and keep an eye on the other Bodes, I'll go and try to find Curiosity's ghost."

"Wait, but you've never even been a ghost before," Kinsey said.

"Neither have you."

"Okay, good point. I just really don't wanna be stuck with the band of twerps."

"Well, consider that a punishment for using the keys irresponsibly."

"Stop acting like you're my dad. It's so annoying."

"Look, now's not the time to argue; we can discuss this later."

Tyler walked into the winter study and stepped through the Ghost Door. His body dropped to the ground, landing on top of Curiosity's body, but his spirit remained floating in the air. Tyler took off in search of Curiosity's ghost.

"Bode!" Tyler called out. "Curiosity? What do I call you?" If I were the most curious nine-year-old, where would I go? Tyler first went to the well house. That was a place that always fascinated Bode. Curiosity wasn't there, though. Tyler checked the family graveyard next. He remembered hearing Bode mention going in there a couple times before. Curiosity wasn't there, but he did see another ghost in the graveyard.

"Hello," the other ghost said. He was a very old man, and very familiar.

"Hey," Tyler said. "Who are you?"

"Chamberlin Locke. And you are?"

"Tyler Locke. Now I remember you. You're the guy in the painting in the winter study. Bode said he met you as a ghost before. He said you were our great grandpa or something."

"Great-great grandpa. Yes, I love that little Bode. So much energy in him," Chamberlin chuckled.

"You got that right. So, speaking of, have you seen Bode's ghost around here just now?"

"No, can't say I have. I haven't seen Bode in quite some time. How's he been lately?"

"Well, being perfectly honest, he could be better. Almost all of his feelings have escaped his head, and he's pretty much all but braindead."

Chamberlin laughed. "I'm guessing he's been using the Head Key lately."

"Yes, but... this isn't a laughing matter."

"I know, I know. I do apologize."

"His Curiosity went through the Ghost Door. Now I'm trying to find him."

"Ah, I see. Well, if you'd like, I can help you find him."

"Yeah, sure, that'd be great."

Chamberlin floated out of the cemetery, and Tyler followed his lead. "You said it was his Curiosity that went through the Ghost Door, correct?"

"Yeah."

"Well then, he probably went to a place that Bode is very curious about."

"I already checked the well house and the cemetery. Those were the two places I thought of first. I don't know where else he's curious about. He literally could've gone anywhere."