Chapter 9

"These woods are huge; how are we ever gonna find Mischief?" Kinsey asked as she, Tyler, and the six Bodes trudged through the forest outside Keyhouse. "Is there some way you can hone in on your Bode-tracking senses and say like, 'thirty paces to your left' or something like that?"

"It doesn't really work like that," Gluttony said.

"So, what? We're really just going to wander around aimlessly through the woods until we happen to stumble upon Mischief?" Tyler asked.

"I guess so. That's the best I've got," Gluttony said.

"But you're positive Mischief is somewhere in these woods, right?"

"Yes."

As they continued searching, Tyler asked, "Hey, Curiosity, how'd you even get the Ghost Key?"

"I found it in the music box when I was looking through Kinsey's room. I was curious to see what it felt like to be a ghost."

"How did you know what that key does?"

"I'm still Bode, even if I'm just one part of him. I still know everything he knows."

"Guess I didn't think about it like that. So did you take any other keys?"

"No."

"Okay, good."

About ten more minutes of strolling through the woods passed, and Kinsey started losing her patience. "Ugh! We're never gonna find Mischief this way!"

"You're right," Tyler said. "What we really should've done is turn into a ghost to look for him. It's way faster to fly around."

"Damn it, Ty. You could've done that back when you were out looking for Curiosity. You know how much time we would've saved?"

"Well, don't blame it entirely on me; you never thought of doing that either."

"Is... is Mischief even in the woods?" Kinsey turned to the group of Bodes. "Do you guys know for a fact that Mischief is somewhere in these woods?"

"Um... well... no?" Glee said with a nervous smile.

"It was more of an instinct," Gluttony said.

"So it's possible that your guys' instincts are wrong?" Kinsey asked.

"Yes, it is possible," Gluttony said. "I'd even say it's likely. Like I said before, I always think with my gut, but my gut doesn't always have the best track record."

"Are you shitting me?" Tyler said. "And you didn't tell us this before... why?"

"Because I liked being trusted. It felt good."

"God damn it! I knew we shouldn't have trusted any of you!" Tyler said. "The only one of you who would've been trustworthy is Responsibility, and he's still in Bode's head!"

"We know we're horrible," Sadness sobbed. "We're horrible, despicable beings. If you decide to abandon us right here in the woods, I wouldn't blame you."

"Oh, stop crying. Obviously, we're not going to do that," Tyler said. "We need to get all of you back into Bode's head."

"Wait a minute," Kinsey said. "One, two, three, four, five... we're missing a Bode. Where's Curiosity?"

"You kidding me? He ditched us again?" Tyler said.

"I have a feeling I know where he went," Gluttony said. "Follow me, my gut will lead the way."