Part 18 - Parent, Teacher, Cousin

I walked past my house, glancing in the windows to see Laura dancing around whilst vacuuming. We used to have dance battles every Friday as an excuse to get it done. Ignoring the pang in my chest, I checked the mailbox. There was nothing. Why was there no mail?

I blocked out the disappointment. Why was I even disappointed anyway? Why was my heart hammering in my chest like I stole something? I wanted to walk on, but my feet were planted to the ground. No, I had a shift to get to. Ignore it, move on. Breathe.

Turning down the side street, I walked quickly to the caffe. All I could pray was that I wasn't put on a closing shift. I needed that job. The money in my account was probably growing since I only dropped the right amount into the envelope on the fridge.

Walking into the warmth of the Cafe, I was greeted by Jules.

'Jules! Have you been working by yourself?'

'Yeah, for the second hour. Maria was supposed to come in, but she didn't. She didn't put anyone else on either.'

'Take a break. You need it. Fifteen minutes, okay?' I reassured her, stepping behind the counter and tying my apron.

It was a busy day, I was left wondering how Jules, a sixteen-year old with the day off school, was able to hold the fort down so well. Cranking up the music just a little, so that the Mum's with toddlers wouldn't be too mad, I waited for the next order. A table of five, still with menus out. I recognised the two teenage boys on their phones from somewhere, but I couldn't place it. Both of their phones had initials ending in J. Squinting, I tried to overhear their conversation just a little, so I could figure out where I knew them from.

The oldest man at the table shook his head, before gathering up a menu and heading over to me. I fixed my gaze, smiling pleasantly whilst pretending to adjust the register. He sidled up to the counter and slapped the menu down, rattling off the order faster than I could even process.

'Sorry sir, just to check, that's two Ham and Cheese Croissants, one Ceaser with chicken on the side, and a half-skim latte, two extra shots and extra hot. Is that all?' I asked, lathering on the customer service tone.

'And a caramel milkshake, and wait. I'm forgetting something,' I started back, my heart going a hundred miles and hour as he turned his head and yelled for the whole block to hear 'Did you want the brownie honey?'

I blinked as the woman nodded, in a daze. My heart in my ears. I let out a breathy laugh as the guy turned to me like nothing had happened, smiling. I put the brownie into the register and quietly told him his total.

'Cool. Just on card thanks dude.'

'Sure.' The customer service voice had returned. I handed him the machine and prayed that I had entered in the right total as he tapped his card.

'Would you like a receipt?'

'No thanks man.'

I nodded, tearing off the receipt and getting started on the coffee. It would take a little longer with no one else, but I could do it. As long as no one yelled at me this time.

Jules sheepishly walked out of the tiny break-room that was more of a broom closet than anything else, holding her hands up as I gave her a playful glare.

'You are only five minutes in. Go back to the break-room, please? I've got this!' I gave her an extra confident smile as she backed away from the counter.

It was like I was a robot, going through the tasks assigned, ticking off the objectives without really thinking. It reminded me of Google.

Delivering their drinks, I tried to stop my hands from shaking. Why was I so jumpy? The boys hardly nodded in recognition. Where were they from? As I delivered the food to their table, there was a slight chill that prickled down the back of my neck. Plastering on a smile to ignore it, I head back behind the counter.