1

Ella Perry

I was awakened by the sound of birds fluttering near my window, chirping about as they please, unaware of someone trying to sleep in peace a few feet away from the window.

Now usually if birds were sounding outside of someone's window that would be seen as a blessing, and the essence of pure and natural beauty. But being that I have to work in a few hours-

Work, I have to work.

My thoughts about the birds outside my windows ceased, what time is it?

I reached over my comforter and onto the nightstand, grabbing my alarm clock and turning it to face me, the bright red numbers being the only light in my room causing my eyes to squint.

4:45 p.m.

I have to be at work in fifteen minutes.

My feet have never acted so quick, as the old wilted comforter shot across my body and my feet sprung into action out of my bedroom and towards the hallway. 

I rushed into the bathroom where I quickly started brushing my teeth, the bristles spurring into different directions, ruining the toothbrush. I then ran my hands through my red, practically helpless hair, combed it back, before tucking it behind my ear. I grabbed a hair tie from the bathroom counter and placed it on my wrist, deciding to put it up in the car. 

My legs never moved faster as I raced back into my room, my pink pajamas were no longer necessary as I practically tore them from my body. I rapidly tossed them aside and began climbing into my work clothes.

My work attire wasn't my favorite, with the same faded company t-shirt and the overused jean shorts, but it certainly was better than most jobs. 

I'm still surprised that the restaurant is still up and running, giving the current status of the town, it will most likely shut down in the upcoming months and I'm going to have to figure out what to do. The authoritative figures in our town hardly exist anymore, most of us still have no idea what's going on, but we all just assume it has to do with the decrease in people wanting to work for the government, which is odd. With all that being said, it really just means that there is no justice system anymore, and people continuing doing as they please. 

So it's not the safest idea to be going anywhere at this point, just last week I saw a man get stabbed multiple times by many people, in the middle of the sidewalk, with people walking past as if it was nothing. And that's not something you can stop alone, it is what it is. 

I grabbed my keys and slipped my shoes on before loudly rushing towards the door, with ten minutes to spare for the ride to the restaurant.

That's not nearly enough time.

"I'm about to leave for work!" I yelled throughout the house, hastily grabbing my keys from the marbled kitchen counter, hoping that Micheal would hear me so he wouldn't complain about me leaving without telling him later.

I couldn't be late for the second time this week.

"Wait," My brother, Michael turns the corner in only plaid boxers and white socks before entering the kitchen, with a head full of brown nappy curls and sleepy brown eyes, looking surprised towards my rushed state.

I don't like it when my family goes anywhere without me and I don't know if they are alright or not, I know it's selfish but I need to know that they are okay. 

" Please don't forget to talk to Lily for me." Michael leans over the kitchen counter with a banana in his left hand unpeeled, as he pouts his bottom lip out, tilting his head to the side. He's talking about one of my blonde co-workers who he has recently found an obsession with.