2

Ella Perry

Alex from the car repair shop had driven me back to my house after the whole fiasco with my car, about two days ago. The ride was awkwardly silent, he never tried to make conversation, and neither did I as I contemplated the situation involving my car. 

I didn't speak to the owner after he told me it was free, I felt a bit bad for not thanking him again for the cost being free, but he disappeared somewhere before I could get the chance. Alex said it would be fixed soon, which I was holding onto because I'm going to have to find a ride to work now. I'm going to have a hard time doing that, considering my house is a bit too far out for a bus, and Lily already has enough on her plate, I couldn't ask her to do that for me. 

I told my Julie and Ray what happened whenever I came home that day, and they raised suspicions about why someone had dropped me off. They were very supportive in helping me pay for the damage, but I told them that the shop said that it was free, which confused them just as much as it did me. 

But with the amount of damage, I don't even think that it is repairable, but the owner is known as going beyond expectations, which raised my hope. 

After moisturizing my fair skin, I untied my long wet hair from the low ponytail it was previously in as I stood in front of the mirror brushing my teeth, staring at the reflection in front of me. 

These past few days surely have been long, and to top it off I'm home alone tonight. 

Now normally being home alone would be a great opportunity for me to walk around the house in what I please, without a care in the world. But, it only makes me worry about my family ten times more while their gone and I'm left alone.  

Micheal is gone to his friend's house for who knows how long, and Julie and Ray are out for something for work, seeing as they work with the same hotel chain, both as travel publicists. 

They are gone more than the average parental figures, representing traveling clients and hotel chains, and they usually resent themselves for it. But Micheal and I always assure them that it is no problem being gone for work so much, as long as they are careful. 

I eagerly brush the bristles to my teeth as I continue to stare at myself in the mirror, reminding my looks of my mother's in that exact moment. 

Although mine is damp, her long curly red hair always sparkled a little bit under the sun. Her freckles stood out like stars in a dark night's sky against her paler skin, as mine did the same. But her skin tone complemented her leaf green eyes that held a golden rim around the center of them, holding a sense of security and stability that I always couldn't get enough of. 

The way she would gape at me in awe as we would play together when I was younger was something that never left my memories, her eyebrows furrowed in investment, she never missed a beat of my childhood. That was something that most kids would give up anything for, and I took it for granted. 

Then I got older, and it was different, I was different. 

I miss her laugh, her smile, I miss them.

I can't spend the rest of my life upset, I have to move on at some point, I tell myself as I spit into the sink and cup water in my hand to wash the toothpaste from my mouth, tearing my eyes from the deep gaze they held on my reflection. 

 I turn the bathroom light off almost rushing to get out, stepping into the hallway to get a glass of water to ease my worry before I come back and go to bed. 

My socks echo in the house as they shuffle towards the kitchen that was only a few feet away from my room because of the layout of our one-story house, my room was exceptionally close to all the essential rooms like the kitchen and the bathroom.