Chapter 4.

I hadn't been on a plane since I'd moved. Every trip I had taken was in a car; more importantly in my own car. I liked having the control so I would drive Marley and I most places we went.

This particular plane was a large one; a Boeing 737 according to the pilot. Yes, I asked as I passed the cockpit. I was nervous and that was one way to settle my nerves.

I sat comfortably in my seat and checked my messages before take-off. Marley had sent a bunch of heart emojis and Charlie sent a few smiley faces and a "Have fun" message. Even Erik sent a "good luck".

Nashville was new territory for me but I was ready. Matthew was really cool and I couldn't wait to learn more from him.

***

I arrived in Nashville late in the evening. I decided to rent a car and pick up some food on my way to my hotel.

"Hi, reservation for Thea Jorgensen, please." I said to the girl at the front desk.

She asked for my card and swiped it when I gave it to her. Then she handed me a piece of paper.

"This came through our fax machine for you." She said softly.

I read the top line and wanted to vomit.

'Thea, you should be careful coming back this close to home.'

I sighed and pocketed it. "Thank you."

She handed me key cards and pointed to where I'd be staying. I thanked her and pulled my suitcase behind me.

Once I was in my room, I sat down and read the rest of the note.

'I have my ways to know what you're up to, despite your best efforts to keep me out of your life. I am your father and you will respect me. Did you really expect to keep yourself from us forever? I'm so disappointed in you. No god will protect you from us. Ever. Also, Greg says hi.'

I bolted from the bed to the toilet and vomited. "Dang it." I cried softly. "Why, God, why?"

As I sat back, the only thing going through my head was Charlie's words from two months ago. He never gives us more than we can handle.

"I think this is my limit, Jesus. Please." I begged. "Please protect me."

I cleaned up and got into the bed. I plugged in my phone and texted Marley.

To Mar: You'll never guess what I got.

From Mar: A boyfriend?!

To Mar: No, you goof. Try a fax from my dad at my flipping hotel!

From Mar: Oh my gosh! Thea! Do you need help? Should I call Charlie?!

To Mar: No, don't call Charlie. Please! It'll just freak him out.

From Mar: What are you going to do?

To Mar: I don't know yet, but I won't let it ruin my time here. Maybe I'll switch hotels or something.

From Mar: Can you afford to do that?

To Mar: Sure I can. Doesn't mean I want to.

From Mar: I think you should. Just to be safe.

To Mar: I'll keep you updated.

From Mar: Please do! I miss you already!

To Mar: I miss you too! Tell Mack hello for me.

From Mar: He says hello and to stay safe.

To Mar: You stay safe too! We only support protected sex here!