Chapter 7.

I woke early enough that I could grab a banana before I headed to the hotel. I'd been so tired when I got out of the studio, that I didn't check the voicemail from Callahan until the morning.

I knocked on the hotel room door twice before using the key card to let myself in. "Callahan?!"

"Thea?" Came a response.

Callahan walked out of the bathroom, his bottom half wrapped in a towel and a shirt hanging off his neck.

"Sorry!" I covered my eyes and turned around.

He chuckled. "Hey, it's fine."

"No, it's not. I'm sorry. I didn't know if you were still here."

"Okay. Relax. Give me a couple seconds."

I stood in silence and waited for him.

"Alright. I'm good."

When I turned back around, I bit my bottom lip. "Uh, sorry." I muttered.

Callahan smiled at me. "It's okay. What's going on? You okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Alright. What are you doing here so early? It's barely eight o'clock."

"It's actually almost nine. I have to go soon."

"Oh, alright. So, talk to me, then." He said, sitting down on the bed.

"Um, you left me a message saying that you were glad you met me and how I'd changed your life and I just wanted to know if you really think that." I blurted out.

He nodded. "Yeah. I meant it, Thea."

Smiling softly, I sat next to him.

He nudged my arm. "You gave me my confidence back, Thea."

"I don't know how I did it."

"You just did. And your kindness seriously changed me too." He kissed my temple. "Thank you."

I took a deep breath. "You're welcome."

We sat silently for a minute or so.

"Callahan," I faced him, "I know you're not about the God thing, but do you want to go to this church with me today?"

Callahan gave me a soft smile. "I appreciate the invitation, but no. I really don't want to."

I glanced down and lightly touched his hand. "That's alright. Um, you'll call me again, right?"

"Yeah. I think I just might." He met my gaze. "Think of me when you play your own guitar."

"I will." I flew forward and hugged him. "Bye, Callahan."

"Bye, Thea." He whispered.

*

"Matthew, your church was amazing! Thank you!" I told my new friend.

"Yeah! No problem! I'm glad you enjoyed it."

"Me too!"

As we walked outside, Emily told me about a restaurant nearby that we could have lunch at. I nodded and we agreed to meet in an hour. I sat in my rental car and sighed softly.

Callahan had given back my key card today, saying he'd already overextended his stay. I didn't want him out on the street and offered to pay for him to stay longer, but he declined. I liked how humble he was, but I just wanted to continue helping him.

We'd already said our goodbyes, yet something told me to go find him again and invite him to lunch.

I drove back downtown and walked around to look for him. He wasn't anywhere we'd been. I even checked the shelter he told me about.