Chapter 6.

"So, you met a random homeless kid on the street and gave him your hotel room?" Emily, Matthew's wife asked the next morning, after I told her about my day.

I nodded. "Mhm."

"Matt was right. You are a nice girl."

"Thank you." I finished up my bowl of cereal and put the dish in the dishwasher. "So, you go to church, right?"

She nodded as she braided their eldest daughter's hair. "Yeah. The service is at nine-thirty tomorrow. Do you want to go?"

I nodded. "I'd love to."

"Great!" She smiled. "I'll text you the address. I assume you'll be out late again today."

"I don't know." I chuckled softly. "I didn't mean to be so late last night. I'm really glad you were still up."

"I hardly sleep these days. But if you do get locked out, the code is the last four of Matt's number."

I nodded. "Alright. Thanks."

"Yeah. Of course."

I went downstairs to the guest bedroom and finished getting ready. I hadn't given Callahan a time that I would be there, but I thought about stopping by the hotel first.

I put my hair in a French braid and put my notebook and pens back into my backpack.

"Oh, Thea!"

I ran into Matthew at the top of the stairs. "Hey!"

"Where are you headed?" He asked.

"Back downtown."

"Alright. You'll be at the studio at four, right?"

"Of course!"

"Okay, see you there." He smiled and walked away.

I got out to the car and started it up. Why was I so nervous all of a sudden?

I cranked the A/C and headed to the hotel.

I walked through the side door and knocked on the room door.

It opened a few seconds later.

"Thea! Hi." Callahan smiled softly.

He was freshly cleaned and shaved and looked rested.

"Hi." I smiled back.

He stepped back to let me inside. "Come on in. I was just packing up to leave."

"You can leave it all here, if you want. I'm still in town til Monday."

Callahan stopped and looked at me. "I keep forgetting you don't live here."

I pursed my lips and nodded. "I do, too. It's nice here."

"It is."

I sat on the bed and watched him pack up his stuff. "Did you sleep well?"

He nodded, a small smile on his face. "I did. Thank you so much."

"No problem."

Callahan met my gaze. "I found that passage about loving your neighbor in the hotel Bible."

"Yeah? How much of it did you have to read before you did?"

"Too much of it." He chuckled.

I smiled softly. "And?"

"And, your Jesus dude sounds a lot like my new friend."

"Yeah?"

"Mhm. He might not be so bad." Callahan grinned.