→ new

{a/n unedited + jacob is just a random name}

i walked in the gym, with jacob's hand in mine. he walked in front of me and headed for the bleachers. once he spotted bryce and the rest of his teammates including a couple of my friends we headed straight to them.

jess immediately caught the sight of my hand in jacob's and her eyebrows shot up in confusion. we squeezed in between everyone and i stood between jacob and jess.

i had my eyes stuck on the doors of the gym lockers, wondering when the match would start. "so you're with jacob now?" jess spoke, keeping her head close to mine so that jacob couldn't hear us.

"it's only a date, i told you." i muttered.

she nodded slowly. i was relieved when jacob slipped his hand out of mine but internally sigh when he put his arms around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him.

it's not that i didn't want to hold his hand, i did agree to go on a date with him. it's just the fact that the 'surprise' date he had for me involved watching my ex-boyfriend play basketball in front of the whole school. i didn't want the whole school thinking that i was now dating jacob.

before i knew it the boys were tumbling out one by one from the locker room, the whole crowd cheering. they ran up to the court, and i smiled when i saw justin wave at jess.

the moment i spotted zach, my breath came into a halt. it has been over a month since he broke up with me, breaking my heart into pieces.

we have been fighting for the past months over the smallest things, probably a result of the stress we both were going through. he was trying his best to balance between school and basketball, two things that were very important for his future. i was also trying my best to balance between school and work, also important for my future.

unfortunately zach couldn't take the fights and decided it would be best if we took a 'break'. i don't believe in breaks and i've never had, so i told him it was either we stay together or break up.

he obviously chose the latter.

zach had a grin in his face, waving at some of the people watching. i gulped when i felt his eyes sweeping our area, and soon enough we made eye contact.

something in him changed the moment he saw me. the grin in his face was no longer existent, his face dark and it almost seemed as if he was angry.

i couldn't keep my eyes off him, constantly being drawn to him. the game eventually started and i never thought i'd say this but zach isn't doing the best job.

he was missing his shots, looking angry the whole time he was playing. at one point the coach had to pull him out, something the coach almost never does. i think everyone expected him to be back to his usual self when he was put back in, but he wasn't.

"what's wrong with him?" i muttered, unconsciously biting my nail.

i felt jess shift next to me, and i looked at her. "you know what's wrong, y/n."

i gave her a confused look. "you and jacob." she nod towards jacob's direction.

i couldn't get what jess said out of my head for the rest of the game, and i began to feel more and more uncomfortable with jacob's touch. once the buzzer signalling the end of the game rang, we all got ready to leave.

the boys lost by a couple of points.

"let's meet the boys before we leave." bryce announced.

the rest of the baseball team nod and started following bryce down the bleachers. jacob was about to grab my hand but i cut him off. "you go first, i'll meet you in a bit."