25. Burak

What Demir had confessed was weighing down heavily on Selin's chest.

Even though they had only had the conversation just minutes earlier, being alone in her house again only made Selin's confusion greater. 

Her mind was fresh with memories of them, here, together. She remembered cuddling with him on the couch she was currently sat on; kissing him against the kitchen counter, him aiding to her wounds on the veranda. If she thought hard enough, she could feel his feather-light touch against her skin and his musky scent drift up to her nose. 

It was torture.

Because every time Selin thought of something happy, she also thought of a contradictory bout of pain. She thought of the fire; she thought of Yigit, thought of Demir's ex-fiance, the lies. Her mind was spinning at a hundred miles per hour and she couldn't make it stop. She tried to sleep, tried to paint, tried to read - nothing helped. She didn't know how long she sat there for, desperate to stop herself from going crazy but eventually, the sky outside darkened. Time slipped from Selin like water through her fingertips and she frustratedly ran a hand through her hair.

Picking up her phone, she dialed Ayda to let her know she was at home. 

"Selincim, are you ready to be home?" Ayda asked her warily. She had seen Selin become this shell of a human being over the past few days and she was worried for her. "You know you're always more than welcome to stay with me."

"I know, Ayda." Selin smiled softly. "Thank you for everything-" The silver lining in this situation had definitely been her friendship group. Each and every one of them had done there part to make her feel loved. Ibo had taken care of her animals, Ayda had pre-ordered every Turkish dizi possible and Merve had picked Selin fresh flowers daily, dropping them off to her every morning before work. "But I need to do this, I need to be here.

"Only if you're sure." As much as Ayda wanted to protect Selin, she knew that love came with its fair share of war. Falling in love was never easy, she knew that with Ibo. They were usually blissfully happy but there were times when it got too much; when they needed space and some time apart to just breathe. No relationship was perfect and after pushing Selin towards love for so many years, Ayda was not going to let her run from it when the going got tough. "But, I think Burak and Ibo are still a little worried-"

"Look, I'll be fine ... I think being here, seeing him, will let me get grips of everything better-" 

Before Selin could continue justifying her decision, her doorbell rang and she had a strong feeling she knew exactly who it was. "Ayda, I'll call you back later, okay?" 

"Just let me know if you need anything, okay? Ibo and I will be over to see you soon." 

"I love you, Ayda and thank you.

With an exchange of quick goodbyes, Selin ran to her door to find Burak on the other side. 

As expected, through her peephole, she could see the frown on his lips and the lines embedded on his forehead. A small part of Selin didn't want to answer the door. Burak had a tendency to be overbearing sometimes and right now, she wasn't sure if she could handle it if he was in one of his moods

But, after careful consideration, Selin decided against ignoring him. She didn't have it in her to turn Burak away when he'd only come over because he was worried for her. 

"Burak, welcome." Plastering a fake smile across her face, Selin answered the door. 

"Selin, are you okay?" Burak asked, exasperated. "Ayda said you weren't there when she got home."