Chapter 15

Urzoth is completely underwater for seconds. Shock overwhelms her as she flails around in the barrel. Her head breaks the surface just in time to see the platform close above her. The dwarves around her are moaning, groaning, and complaining, all equally surprised by their plunge into the river. The trap door opens once again to allow Bilbo to slide down and join them. When he breaks the surface, Nori pulls him to his barrel.

"Well done Master Baggins," Thorin praises. The hobbit only waves his hand in response, as he hadn't expected the water to be so cold. "Go! Come on, lets go!" Thorin shouts as he begins to paddle further down the river.

The cave they are floating through quickly opens up into a beautiful sunny day. But with that daylight comes a waterfall. Thorin shouts something Urzoth cant understand before he falls over the side. One by one, the dwarves are sucked over the edge and thrown into the rapids. Urzoth is roughly thrown over and whipped under the water. The scars on her back, though soothed by the coolness of the water, are screaming at the constant jolting movements.

She breaks the surface again to see everyone is alright, at least for now. The company is violently dragged through the rapids, occasionally being ricocheted into the rocky banks. A loud elven horn notifies them that they're escape has been found out. As the company approaches the final gate, Elven guards run up the stairs and pull it closed.

"No!" Thorin shouts in defeat as his barrel runs into the barrier.

The company begins piling up after them. Urzoth, being towards the end, is left unshielded by the rocky bridge overhead. She watches in fear as one of the elves unsheathes his sword and makes his way toward them. That is, until an arrow lodged itself in his skull. He falls into the river, and an orc takes his place. Many orcs climb over the elven wall, slaying all in sight.

"Slay them all!" Urzoth whips her head around to see her brother standing on top a hill, and evil grin upon his scarred face.

I shiver runs up her spine. She hadn't seen Bolg in nearly twenty years. Whenever she was in Mordor, he was in Dol Guldur and when she was in Dol Guldur, he was in Mordor. The fact that he was here now was unsettling. She hadn't expected her father to send him after her. It must mean something is wrong, or worse, something is right.

Urzoth is shaken from her bewilderment as a dead elf falls on top of her. She pulls the sword from his sheath as she pushes him off and into the water. Around her, her companions are doing the same. They take any weapon they can find and use it to slay any enemy that may come her way. In a state of fear and desperation to escape, Urzoth finds herself killing her own kind.

Out of the corner of his eye, Kili spots the lever to open the gate. It is unguarded, and the path to it seems clear for the most part. Taking the opportunity, Kili lugs himself out of the barrel and onto land. He dodges and weaves through the battling elves and orcs. He catches a sword thrown to him by Dwalin and uses it to kill an orc blocking his path. Just as he is about to pull down the lever, a searing pain shoots through his leg. He had been shot. He grabs onto the lever and attempts to pull it down, but the pain is too overwhelming.

"Kili!"

At the sound of Fili's cry, Urzoth whips her head around to find her love collapse to the floor, an arrow sticking out of his leg. He scoots away from an oncoming orc, and Urzoth goes to throw the sword in her hands, but an arrow kills the beast first. Both Urzoth and Kili turn to see Tauriel run to join the battle. She begins killing orcs left and right; Urzoth and Kili both watches in astonishment.

"Kill her! Kill the She-Elf!" Bolg shouts. His warriors attack, but to their dismay, Legolas appears from the bushes.

Whilst the orcs are distracted by the elves, Kili struggles to climb up to the lever and pull it down. He falls to the ground groaning as the gate swings open. The dwarves in the barrels get sucked through and thrown down the waterfall. Kili rolls off the ledge of the bridge and into his barrel, the arrow in his leg snapping in the process.