A Safe Spot

As I looked into the gas tank, there was only a few gas in it and it looked like enough to drive a mile away. As we wasted every inch of the gas, the car started to shake and sputter and we eventually stopped. I just sat there looking out the windows to see if it was safe to go. It looked safe but only a few of those slow walkers on people's lawns. I turned to Justin and Kota.

"Okay here's what were going to do" but then I got interrupted by a yelling noise. I looked back out the window shield to see who it was. It was a man with a boarded up house. It looked like he got prepared for this disaster like he already knew it would happen. It was a two story house and he was yelling a few times to see if we were still alive. I looked back at Justin and Kota.

"I'll be right back, I'll just see what he wants" I said then exited the car. I ran to the man but with caution because he might mistaken me for a sprinter. I only came away from their door just enough for them to see me. I had to stop because one of the men had a shot gun in front of the window by the door, another one by a window but a different angle, looked like he had another room to patrol, and a sniper from the second floor.

He asked "What you got there?"

I responded "Its just only me and I have two children with me"

"Really, are you sure?" He asked

"Yes really" I told him

"Well you can stay here just for the night but its really up to you on how long you want to stay" he said in a nice voice.

"Um... okay let me just ask my children if they are alright with the idea" I said

As I ran back to the car I opened the back door and asked them.

"Do you guys want to stay here for the night" I told them

"Are you sure its safe with them?" Justin asked while looking at them.

"Yeah I want to, I'm just really tired right now from running and hiding, I just want to take a nap" Kota said in a complaining way.

"Well okay we'll stay for the night and just see how it is okay" I said

"Alright then but if something weird is going on then we're leaving" Justin said

We all got out the car to greet them by the door. As we approached them a lady came to the door and unlocked it for us. As we came in the man was watching our backs just in case if any of those things came at us. We came into the house and looked around to see the surrounding. The house was huge and it was nice and organized. Just then the lady that opened the door for us came to me and asked us if we wanted water or anything to eat.

"Wait just hold on let me ask my children" I said in a reassuring way.

"Do you guys want any water or food?" I asked

"No not really hungry but thirsty" Justin said

"I'm none of those, I'm just really tired and I want to sleep" Kota said in a grumpy voice.

As the lady came back she asked us "Okay, did you guys make up your decision yet?"

"Yeah can I get two water bottles, and can she sleep anywhere or somewhere" I said

"Yeah two water bottles and a place to sleep, who wants to sleep?" the lady asked

I said "Kota my little daughter"

The lady said "You can sleep on those two couches over there in the living room on the right " she said in a nice way

Kota went to the place where the living room was and found the place. She then just layed on the couch and quickly fell asleep.

"So where you guys coming from?" the lady said

"Oh well its a long story" I said

"Oh and who's the other two?" the lady asked

"Well they're both my children, the one with me, his name is Justin, and the other one that fell asleep, her name is Kota" I said

"Oh well let me introduce myself, my name is Grace" Grace said

"Oh well nice to meet you and my name is Sarah" I said

"Oh okay then well the other men that are just on watch, you"ll get the chance to know them later but can you help me with this thing?" Sarah asked

"Yeah sure what is it?" I asked

"Can you help me board up the back windows" Grace said

"Sure" I said

"We dont want any of those walkers coming in" Grace said

"You call them walkers?" I said

"Yeah because you know, they just walk" Grace said

"I thought the same thing" I said

"Oh, I guess we find labels in common" Grace said as we both looked at each other laughing

Grace then got up and nodded her head at me, she lead the way for me. As I got to the back, there were some windows to block with some wooden planks. Grace told me to nail the wooden pieces into the wall with the hammer and to make sure there are no cracks except for one in the middle so we can see for the outside. As I got started to it, it took me 2 hours to finish three windows as I kept constant watch on my back. I just got done with it and it was seven p.m. . Grace came back to me and said "Wow you did a great job, better than me"

"Yeah, thank you" I said

As I followed Grace back to the kitchen Justin was just sitting there with some tea. As Grace sat down I finally got to sit down. Grace told me to stay as long as we want but I told her we can't because we really had to go somewhere. As it grew night the men came back into the kitchen to see us. As they all came in and circled the table, they asked for my name. "Well, my name is Sarah" I said

As the men introduced themselves one at a time and finally got the hang of saying their name. The first man was Joe, second man was Carl, and the last one was Daniel. Well I greeted them all and they all went to bed soon after.

"They have to patrol all day so that usually wears them out" Grace said

"Oh really?" I said.

"Yeah" Grace said

As we got ready for bed Grace showed me our rooms to sleep.

"Justin and Kota up staris to our room" I said while standing halfway up the stairs

The room was a medium range but fitted all of us. We got ready for bed, I slept on the bed, and Justin and Kota slept on the mattress on the floor. As I looked up at the ceiling thinking about what to do tomorrow, I just fell asleep from all the exhaustion I had. The night grew silent with the moans of the walkers but none of them walked near the house. The dark house was peaceful.