Chapter three

"Bubblebreeze, you go on patrol with Pineclaw, Mothtail, Violetberry and Rainpaw," Owlfeather demanded. "I want you to to patrol Fernclan's border"

Bubblebreeze nodded, and along with her patrol she walked out of camp.

"I don't understand why we have to patrol the Fernclan border," Rainpaw said. "Those scaredymice can't even pick a fight."

Violetberry gave him a sharp look. "But what if they tried to take our land, would you just hand it to them?"

"No..." Rainpaw mumbled.

Violetberry looked satisfied. "Then stop complaining."

Rainpaw rolled his eyes to Bubblebreeze, and she couldn't help but to purr.

When they reached Rabbit Place Pineclaw suddenly stopped and hissed: "What are you doing here?"

Bubblebreeze trotted over to stand next to Pineclaw. In the little clearing with rabbit holes Fennelstripe, the Fernclan deputy was standing, tail and chin held high.

"We just came to take what's ours," Fennelstripe snarled. "Now you hand over Rabbit Place, or we will just take it."

"Rainpaw, run back to camp," Bubblebreeze hissed in Rainpaw's ear. "We need back-up patrols."

"But I want to fight." Rainpaw whined.

"No!" Bubblebreeze hissed angrily. "You haven't had enough battle training. Now run back to camp as fast as you can, and tell them that we need battle patrols at Rabbit Place!"

"So," Fennelstripe hissed. "Do you want to fight, or will you just hand it over?"

"Never!" Mothtail snarled. "We will fight for what's rightfully ours!"

"Well," Fennelstripe snarned. "Fernclan, attack!"

Bubblebreeze sprang at the warrior closest to her.

She bit his hind leg and he yowled in agony.

The warrior was heavier than herself, and he managed to push her down on her back, and claw her muzzle.

She raked his belly, and he got off her.

She hurried to stand up and sprang onto the warrior's back.

She put her paws over his eyes and sank her claws into the soft skin under his eyes.

She buried her teeth in his shoulder.

She got off him and he ran back to his territory.

She looked around to see if any of her clanmates needed help.

Fernclan had many more warriors and apprentices in this battle, she almost gave up hope when three Darkclan patrols appeared from the brambles.

Fernclan was clearly surprised, which Bubblebreeze took as an advantage to run into a warrior's flank, turn and claw its face.

Yes! Bubblebreeze triumphantly thought, We're gonna win! Take that Fernclan Foxhearts!

Suddenly an unbelievable pain shot through her body, when an apprentice bit her hind leg.

She took the apprentice by the scruff and swung him away.

"Fernclan, retreat!" Fennelstripe suddenly howled.

The blood pumped in Bubblebreeze's ears as she watched the Fernclan cats retreat.

Cloudnose and Spikepaw walked from cat to cat, checking for severe wounds.

When Cloudnose reached Bubblebreeze she checked her hind leg.

"Spikepaw," Cloudnose called. "Could you please get me some cobweb and marigold?"

After some time Spikepaw appeared with cobweb tangled around a stick and a herb that Bubblebreeze guessed was marigold.

Cloudnose carefully used the marigold to clean the wound and put the cobweb over the wound.

"That should heal in no time, if just you don't move your leg too much." Cloudnose mewed.

Bubblebreeze looked up. "Thanks," She mewed thankfully.

When they were back in camp Bubblebreeze trotted over to sit in a sunny spot.

She was hungry, but all she wanted was to rest her leg.

Suddenly she heard pawsteps coming towards her, she looked up, and there was Speedypaw with a squirrel in her mouth. Speedypaw's shoulder was covered with cobweb and she struggled to walk.

"Hi," Speedypaw mewed. "That was a close fight."

"Yeah," Bubblebreeze said tiredly. "Looks like you've got some severe wounds."

"No," Speedypaw said. "It's not so bad, it stings a little, but it's nothing, really."

Speedypaw sat down on her haunches. "Do you wanna share this squirrel?" she asked, as if she read her mind.

"Yes, thank you." Bubblebreeze mewed.

Speedypaw nudged the squirrel closer to Bubblebreeze, but Bubblebreeze pushed it back. "You should have the first bite," Bubblebreeze mewed. "You took it here anyway"

Speedypaw nodded, took a bite and nudged it over to Bubblebreeze again.

Bubblebreeze took a bite and enjoyed the warmth from Speedypaw's fur and the warm taste of the squirrel.

After the heat of the battle it was nice to sit and share a squirrel with a good friend.