Chapter eight

After Cloudnose left, Bubblebreeze didn't know where she belonged to.

It was the day after she got exiled and Bubblebreeze haven't talked to Darkstar nor did she talk to Mothtail.

She tried to eat, but she couldn't swallow. She could see on her friends that they didn't have an appetite either. Nothing was the same after Cloudnose was exiled.

Spikebriar was their new medicine cat, but she barely knew all the herbs.

Bubblebreeze went with a hunting patrol to twoleg place.

She caught a mouse and buried it when she heard rattling in the bushes behind her.

She slowly approached it, it didn't smell like prey though, maybe it was a kittypet who just got lost.

When she got to the bush there was nothing but a white tail tip, that was quick to be gone again.

She followed it and when she was close enough, she sprang onto the cat's back demanding it to slow down.

She got off the cat and she turned.

Bubblebreeze barely believed what she saw.

She saw a white she-cat with gray on the nose, Cloudnose.

"What are you doing here, Cloudnose?" Bubblebreeze hissed, every word hurt deeply in her belly.

"I couldn't resist the smell of my home," Cloudnose mewed sadly.

"This is not your home anymore!" Bubblebreeze hissed. "And keep your voice down, Cloudnose, if any cat sees you, they will kill you!"

Cloudnose looked puzzled, then thoughtful. "Cloudnose," She purred. "That's not my name anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"My name is Angel." She mewed proudly. "The other kittypets say it's like the dead twolegs."
"What-?"

"Yeah!" Angel purred. "It's weird that twolegs have their own starclan, right?"

"No. I mean yes." Bubblebreeze meowed. "I mean, kittypets?"

"What's with them?"

"Are you a kittypet now?"

"Yes, I am," Angel meowed, offended. "Is there a problem with that?"

Bubblebreeze was surprised. "No no, there's no problem in that." She mewed. "But why, and do you even remember your herbs?"

"Of course I remember the herbs!" She snapped.

This was the first time Bubblebreeze noticed that Cloudnose was a little plump (Ikke i virkeligheden, det er bare sådan historien er. No offence, Emely.).

"But how did you get twolegs so quick?" Bubblebreeze wondered.

"The other kittypets around here told me that there were some housefolk - oh I mean twolegs, who wanted a cat." She meowed. "So I scratched at their opening to the twoleg nest, I think it's called a door, anyway, they took me in and called me Angel. So here I am!" She reached up with her paw to show Bubblebreeze her collar, it was white with a pink pearl in the middle, there was written some weird signs on the pearl that Bubblebreeze didn't understand.

"Oh- wow," Bubblebreeze stammered. "So, have you made any friends?"

Angel's eyes lit up. "Oh, my friends are wonderful! There's Tufo, Cottontail, Toby, Kitty, Cuddles..."

Bubblebreeze suddenly remembered Darkstar's words.

"You have to leave, Angel," It sounded weird in her mouth to say 'angel'. "If the other cats see you here, they'll kill you for sure."

Angel looked surprised, then she nodded, murmured a 'Goodbye' and left into the bushes.

Bubblebreeze sighed and trotted over to unbury her mouse.

When they were back in camp Mothtail gestured with his tail for Bubblebreeze to sit with him.

Bubblebreeze looked him in the eye and narrowed her eyes.

He shrunk and looked away.

She took a squirrel from the freshkill pile and sat alone in the shadow of a tree.

She couldn't sit with Mothtail or Darkstar. It's their fault that Cloudnose - I mean Angel got exiled.

She began eating her squirrel when a sudden sadness flew over her.

Her friend has become a kittypet, her mate betrayed her and Darkstar exiled the medicine cat.

Suddenly the brambles rustled and Mothtail stepped forward.

Bubblebreeze looked away as Mothtail sat down next to her. "Look," He meowed. "I didn't realize what I did before I saw how it crushed you."
Bubblebreeze turned her head towards him. "Of course I'm crushed," She snapped. "It's your fault that my friend got exiled! You that I could trust you!"

Mothtail paused for a second but began talking again. "I know, I'm a mousebrain," He meowed. "I didn't know that Darkstar would exile her."

"Well she did!" Bubblebreeze hissed. "Now leave me alone, I don't want to talk to you right now."

Mothtail stood for a moment, then the brambles rustled again and she was alone with her thoughts.

"Foxheart," Bubblebreeze murmured. "Putting Darkstar in a bad light, saying," She decreased her voice. "Oh, I didn't know that she would exile her, I'm such a mousebrain."

Bubblebreeze felt as if she had reached the end. She couldn't trust her own mate, her own leader nor herself.

She didn't know if she should forgive Mothtail and Darkstar. She missed them.