Chapter 11 (3)

You have 5 unanswered calls.

You have 2 unanswered voice messages.

Beth pushes her phone aside by the bed, wrapping herself inside a thick blanket. I don't want to reply anymore. I was so tired of today.

Two minutes later, her phone rang. It was from Madison.

No. Just no. Beth ignored the call. She's coming to judge me again. For my poor judgment.

Madison's call rang again. A third time. And, a fourth time.

"Alright, this might be an emergency call. Guess I need to answer now."

She dialed back.

"Beth. I just talked with Nora and Owen. They really appreciated you in many ways. They said that you were independent and hardworking, and you've been fitting a lot better into the Laurel Prep environment. It's my bad to assume that what you did for the Laurel Runway Competition was easy. Owen mentioned that you often spread out mood boards and laid down materials across the dinner table to get inspired for your project. Sometimes during the evening, he can see you still walking around in the room, reading course materials or sweating over your project. These are great; just don't stay up too late.

Also, they mentioned what happened with you today. You do have poor judgment." Madison said. "However, that's what makes you our daughter. You are fiercely passionate, and you stick to what you love really hard."

Beth was very surprised that Madison could even compliment her. She buried her head under a pillow and kept listening to what Madison was about to say.

"I was too harsh on you when you went to Laurel museum. Your dad and I read every message that you sent us over the months. We are proud that you have been making progress, and concerned if is progress is not sufficient." Madison sighed. "You want a lot of things ever since you were young, and that kind of success doesn't come easy. There's simply no shortcut to getting recognized."

"Do you love me, mom?" Beth whimpered.

"Of course I do. If you are set on going to art school, I want just you to work hard and be more responsible."

"No...I mean...do you like who I am as a person?" Beth started sobbing over the phone uncontrollably again. "If all I am is just this weird, flawed girl that always bumps into difficulties and rejections, would you still be willing to advocate for me?"

"Don't be so extreme. That's not what all of you are."

With mixed feelings of sadness, shame, and a newly found sense of belonging, Beth held tight onto the phone in her blanket, feeling Madison on the other side, supporting her.

With this thought in mind, she fell asleep.