14. Nostalgia

"Jennie!" Lisa's voice bounces off the walls and ceilings, unanswered.

She yells again. "Jennie!" Still, nothing.

The house is empty, her room is empty. All of her belongings have been packed up and except for the soft sweet smell of lavender lingering in the air, there's no sign whatsoever that Jennie was ever here.

She runs out of the house frantically and shouts out for Bambam. It doesn't take long for him to heed her boss' call.

"Where is she?" Lisa asks. Her forehead is glistening with sweat, she is out of breath and her countenance is clearly stricken with worry.

"Sir. She asked me to take her home, to her house. There was an emergency. It seemed as though a loved one had passed away suddenly."

Lisa's shoulders sink. She knew from the little Jennie had ever told her that the only family she had was one sister. Could it be her?

"What? How is she? Take me to her immediately." Lisa demands and begins to head for the vehicle.

" Sir." Bambam says firmly, stopping Lisa in her tracks.

"I know this is not my place or any of my business but, I wouldn't call it wise if you go after Mrs.Manoban today. Give her time to herself, to grieve and to mourn and to come back to you on her own terms and in her own time. It would be the selfless thing to do." The young man says as though he were giving advice to his own friend.

Lisa hates the idea of not being able to comfort her right now, but she agrees that Bambam is right. Jennie probably hated her guts right now. Lisa had broken her heart in such a cruel manner and Jennie probably didn't want to see her face again. The last thing she wanted to do was add to her pain.

Lisa retreats back into her home and it had to be the longest night of her life. She left Jennie some voicemails, telling her she was sorry for her actions and that she was aware of the situation. Lisa also told her that she was giving her space to mourn but if she needed anything she should just call right away and she would be there.

She downed several glasses of her finest whisky and went to sleep on a couch in her study. Jennie never replied or called back.

The next day, she took time off from work. Lisa just wanted to be home, available, waiting for any moment that Jennie would call and need her. It was a futile wait.

She passed time by painting, it hurt because it brought back memories of her. After all, it was because of Jennie, she found inspiration to return to the easel. Everything reminded Lisa of her, the sky seemed more grey, the lights seemed less bright. Her world seemed so empty.

Lisa takes a stroll around her grand mansion and when she eventually finishes. She realizes it is all meaningless. Everything she'd toiled for was meaningless, all that she owned, meaningless. What was the use of acquiring so much if she couldn't have it along with the woman she loved?

When it is lunchtime, Dahyun forces her to lunch. She literally says no to her when she tells her she doesn't feel like eating.

"She loves you, Mrs. Manoban. She knows the woman that you are and she loves you for it. You have to believe that. Now, come eat and I will not be taking no for an answer." She demanded firmly and then followed the statement up with a wide smile.

Of course, Lisa didn't dare defy her.

After lunch, she continued to pass time by doing some reading until nightfall. That was when the house was the loneliest. Lisa could hear almost anything.

She decides to visit what used to be Jennie's room. She honestly came to detest the idea of them having two separate bedrooms but she knew it was for the best.

The bed was perfectly made, the carpets thoroughly vacuumed. No doubt Dahyun had been here.

Lisa surveyed the room over and over as he stood, planted in one spot. She recalled the memories they shared here. The first time Lisa kissed her, the moment she told her she loved her.

That moment had to be one of the happiest in her life. That someone as precious and golden as Jennie Kim could look to him and find something to love beneath all of her flaws. She never thought it possible.

Lisa never even thought it was possible that she could ever love, she never knew what it looked like for a woman to love and cherish a woman. Yet, Jennie had challenged her and oh did she want to show her she was up to the task, she wanted to be the woman she saw in her. But currently, she was failing miserably and she had possibly lost Jennie forever.

She walks toward the vanity and pulls out the drawers. Her heart breaks into a million pieces when she sees her marriage band lying there next to the many jewellery items, she'd gifted her including the locket she gave to Jennie.

Again, she could sense the handiwork of Dahyun. She'd probably put them away, hoping she wouldn't come across them.
But Lisa did, and now it seemed as though her world was crashing down.

She took off her ring. What was she supposed to think?

In her walk-in closet also hung every dress she gave her. The shoes, the purses, all of it. She didn't even leave Lisa a note or anything, what was she supposed to make of all of this.

Lisa fell to the ground. Jennie had washed clean of her. She wanted nothing, absolutely nothing to do with her.