Chapter Eight

Chapter 8

Guilt seeped through her skin when she saw the pain in his eyes before he left. She didn't even get to say goodbye. She wanted to. The moment their eyes met, her heart felt heavy and all she wanted to do was go after him and ask him to stay but that would be selfish of her. Karylle was about to go after him but her mom stopped her. Her mom stood up and followed Vice instead. Whatever she had said to him, she'd never know. Karylle just remained seated, in the arm of the man who broke her heart.

Maybe this was meant to happen. Maybe Dominic and her were really meant to be together that's why he came back for her. She should be happy. But that's the thing—she wasn't. But she decided to give it another try.

Karylle's heart sunk in her chest when she took in the sight of the room she shared with Vice for the past two days, now empty. A painful smile escaped her lips as she held back her tears. She couldn't stay in that room. Not with Dominic. So she brought him to her own bedroom instead.

"Wow, this is..."

"I know. It's way smaller compared to the guest room. You can sleep on my bed tonight and I'll stay with Zia."

"What?" Dominic's brows raised like she said the most absurd thing ever. "No, stay with me. The bed is big enough for the both of us."

No, it wasn't.

"Kaya nga ako bumalik para makasama ka e tapos iiwan mo naman ako dito." He flashed those adoringly eyes that always worked on her.

A small smile crept up her face then she squinted her eyes. "Wag kang pa-cute. Sige na nga."

Karylle was caught off guard when Dominic pecked her on the lips. "One more thing. What's your wi-fi password?"

"What?" Karylle looked perplexed.

"I need to finish this report and my boss is expecting me to submit it by 12 which is in an hour."

He can't be serious.

But he was serious. Karylle did what she always did best, support her boyfriend. She sat next to him as he worked on his report on his laptop.

It had been an hour but Dominic was still busy working so Karylle tried to get his attention by playing with his hair, then kissing him on the cheek. Dominic gave a small smile but eyes never leaving the screen.

"Sabi mo 1 hour lang." Karylle pouted, causing Dominic to finally turn to her.

He leaned forward, brushing his lips against hers. Karylle gave in, leaning forward to deepen the kiss but Dominic quickly pulled away with a smile before returning to work on his laptop, leaving his girlfriend speechless.

Karylle decided to go downstairs to the living room, her dad was on the couch reading a book and she sat next to him. Mr. Modesto noticed the sadness in his daughter's eyes so he closed the book he was reading and moved a little closer to her.

"Karylle, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Does Dominic, the real Dominic, I mean. Does he have any other talents? Does he know how to sing?"

Karylle thought about it for awhile. "No, I don't think so. He's a pretty serious guy. He's mostly working."

"Well, does he make you smile like how Vice makes you smile?"

Karylle thought about the night Vice and her played cards, the late night talks and the time she spent touring him around the town. A smile curved on the side of her lips as she recalled the time when they were in the art gallery. She appreciated him for being honest because even though he wasn't into art, he didn't show that he was uninterested but instead, he was curious and paid attention to her as she explained her own interpretation. She really appreciated it because if it were Dominic, he wouldn't even bother looking at the paintings nor listen to her. Dominic never appreciated her the way Vice did.