Chapter 10

Zoe

The next two months absolutely flew by - house was completely finished, I started booking weddings and me and John were getting along so well. Most nights we spent together in each other's homes. Now that my house was finished he was able to stay here more often as there will be no night crew workers drilling and hammering anymore.

I fully moved in into my bedroom when John's handsome face appeared on my phone screen.

"Hey handsome. How are you this morning?"

"I'm great thanks, on my way to yours actually, want me to pick something up?"

"A coffee and a croissant would be lovely please. I need to go food shopping later today as the fridge is empty!"

"Cool, I'm not doing much today so I can come with you."

"Who are and what have you done with John?" I laughed. He hated shopping, with passion.

"I just want to spend time with you, is that a crime?"

"Not at all. See you soon" I smiled and hung up. I had serious feelings for this guy but I was too afraid to say anything to him in case this thing we had between us gets ruined. We never defined each other as boyfriend and girlfriend but he better not be sleeping with anyone else. Maybe I should clarify at least that much? I think I should.

John was at my front gate in half an hour. I buzzed him in and got the gate tag ready in a little box to give to him. It wasn't a key so I didn't ask him to move in even though I don't think I would mind that at all. He was becoming such a huge part of my life that I didn't want to imagine not having him in it.

"Good morning beautiful" he said kissing me when I opened the door for him.

"Good morning. Mmm, great morning actually" I wrapped my arms around him.

"Let's have breakfast in the kitchen" I murmured against his lips and then pulled away. John followed me into the kitchen which now was big and spacious and airy and light, just how I wanted it. We sat down at the kitchen island and John opened a bag with baked goods. It smelled divine!

"I got us a selection of pastries. Have whatever you like."

"Let's start with a croissant. If you keep feeding me like this I will get fat" I warned him taking a bite of the pastry.

"I couldn't care less, I would want to be with you anyway."

"John, I wanted to check something with you." I started not meeting his eyes.

"This sounds serious. Shoot" he smiled.

"Well, we never defined our relationship and that's great but I just want to check that you are not having another relationship with someone else. We are exclusive, right?" I took a long sip of the coffee before I looked up at him.

"Zoe, I didn't think we were...baby I have been seeing..." I didn't hear the rest. My heart sank, fuck fuck fuck. I couldn't get past that. I put the coffee down and started walking out of the room.

John suddenly grabbed my hand. "Zoe, I'm only joking. Oh my god, you didn't take this seriously, did you? Zoe, there is no one else but you" he cupped my face looking worried.

My heart rate slowed down some and I looked up at him. Now he looked worried.

"Zoe, I was only joking. I would never cheat on you, ever."

"Ok, thank you. You had me there for a second." I smiled at him even though I was still shaken up.

"Jesus, I thought you were going to kick me out. It was a stupid joke, I'm sorry" he kissed me and hugged me close. When he reluctantly let me go he sat down right next to me like he needed me near for reassurance that I won't leave him. From the inside of his blazer pocket John pulled out a small box and put it in front of me.

"This is for you. Open it"

"John, you know I don't need anything"

"Just open it"

I couldn't hide my excitement - I tore the wrapping off and opened the box. Inside was a single key.

"This is a key from my place and I would like you to have it" he took my hand in his. Wow, what did this mean for us as a couple?

"Thank you. This is quite a big step for us I guess" I smiled from ear to ear and kissed him gently.

"Yes it is. I'm not asking you to move in together or anything, I don't want to scare you off but I would like you to be able to come and go as you please" he pulled me to his chest.

He doesn't want to scare me off? So has he thought about moving in together? I stood up and walked over to the drawer where I had his gate fob. I also had a key next to the box with the fob because I did want to give it to him but I was afraid to scare him off. Now that he gave me his key I didn't have such fear anymore. I quickly slipped the key inside the box and walked over to him.

"This is yours" I handed him the box.

John opened it confused and then looked at me.

"You don't have to give me your key just because I gave you mine, Zoe."

"I had this ready to give to you this morning." I kissed him and then took my seat again.

"So can I call you my girlfriend now?"

"Of course, boyfriend." I laughed out loud because John was so much more to me than just a boyfriend. In such a short time he became the one. Or at least I thought so...