Intention & Attention.

A/N: Short chapter but i feel knowing the history between them will be way better. so here Read and Review.! 

********************************************************************

"Inniki Mullai kadai ku vanthala da? Mama sonnaru.." Dhanam said, wiping the water of his plate with her saree, and placing it before him.

"Vantha vantha..." Kathir said begrudgingly, just after she came and left ,it put a damper to his day. All he could think about was her looks at Jeeva, her hair dancing every time she moved her head. He didn't realise how long her hair was, it fell to her curve of her..

Ahyoo appidi yosikatha da!

He visibly shuddered. Dhanam gave him a strange look.

"Enna da? Avala pathi pesunala ohn moonji maaruthu, pavam da naala ponnu, ava, sirichikite irupa" she said with so much fondness. Kathir face remained unchanged but he knew she was right. If there was once thing about Mullai he'd admit – to no one- was that she would always smile. Through storm or a rainbow. She had different types of smile too. Not that he noticed.

He didn't.

Really. 

Hmm ippidi chellam kuduthu chellam kuduthu than ava ingaye gethinu iruka, neenga chumm airunga anni.." he said, annoyed

"Dai unna yen da panna ava, ava Jeeva jeeva nu thane aaliyura.." she quipped back, she got up to go get more rice "antha pullai romba thitatha da ava asai ya thane inga odi odi vara.."

It wasn't as if he liked being rude to her. or making fun of her. no actually he loved making fun of her. he had, ever since they were children. It was always him who would talk to her more, make her cry more, pester her more. him and Mullai were always together. They didn't know how it happened to be that way. But they were, she was always stuck to him like a leech. He loved that. She was that person that he would want to share everything, from their movie nights to listening Raja songs in her Walkman.

They were a pair.

Kathir and Mullai.

Until one day, after her boarding school right before college. 

They weren't. 

They both didn't know how it happened. Maybe it was just that they would miss meeting each other all these years, whenever she came back from boarding school. Her mother had put a stop to her random visiting to the PS house. She would only be able to see Jeeva going back and forth to college in his bike, maybe it was frequently seeing a person from her childhood, or maybe it was Jeeva's charm that caught her, or maybe even the fact that Jeeva was always so kind to her, that when her dad proposed this idea into her head. She didn't think she wouldn't have a terrible life with him in that house. 

Maybe that's when her attention changed from Kathir to Jeeva. Attention and intention. The attention to Kathir when they were kids was different. It was mainly trying ways to get him into trouble or make trouble with him, using Jeeva as an ally. Her fondest memories were almost always, her and Kathir giggling because theyve done something and Jeeva covering up for them with a knowing smile on his face. Kathir was always her partner in crime, when he wasn't busy pulling her pigtails, or fighting with her. She would simply retaliate with either crying or there would be visible scratch marks on Kathirs arms. Before her brain could understand intentions towards Kathir it got distracted with Jeeva. And never flourished. 

Or so she thought.

Kathir could tell the difference though. After she came back from boarding school. Along with her childish tantrums, her body language changed. Her talks were a lot softer to Jeeva, she wouldn't make an effort to show up somewhere if Jeeva wasn't there. She wouldn't even notice Kathir if he drive past her 2 or 3 times (intentionally or unintentionally, who knows). He saw every change. Sometimes It felt like, his chest constricting. But the sooner he brushed it off,  the better it was for everyone. Losing his bestfriend was, just another thing from his life he had to cross. He had lost and crossed off so many now that he doesn't know what in his life he could call his own except for his family. So he reciprocated the same attitude he got from her. Best friends became estranged relatives within a matter of years. And if that wasn't a problem for her, then it sure as hell wasn't gonna be a problem for him.

Or so he thought.

≈TBC≈