luke - thirteen

Riley.

To be completely honest, that's the name that's been stuck in my head for weeks. I am, by no doubt, infatuated.

Which is weird, right? Considering I hated her for ages.

This is all really strange and I don't understand any of it. All I know is that Riley means a hell of a lot more to me than I could've ever imagined.

"You are fucked," Michael said once we got to my house. I opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water. Michael signaled me to toss him one, which I did.

"I know," I admitted. Michael's face lit up.

"Well, I think this relationship is cute. I don't think a lot of things are cute," he said. I chuckled.

"I think she's cute."

"Of course you do."

"And then there's Michelle who's just..." I lead off. Michael and I shared a look and cringed.

"I don't even know what happened there."

"Me either," I agreed. "Buts it's all in the past and it's okay now. Right? Yeah, right." I opened the bottle cap and took a swig of the water.

"You have changed so drastically. Is that even possible for a teenage boy?" I swatted Michael's shoulder.

"Shut up," I murmured. He only laughed.

"I'm just saying," Michael replied.

We made our way to my basement where all our instruments were located. I grabbed my prized Fender white and black guitar while Michael opt for his red one near Ashton's drum set. We figured my house would be the place to store all instruments because a) Michael only has an attic, b) Calum's basement is small, and c) Ashton has two younger siblings so jamming out wouldn't be the ideal place. Plus, my mum says it's fine for them to pop out of nowhere. As for my dad...

I shook my head and quickly tuned by guitar before picking the strings to an old blues song.

"Your father wants to see you," my mum said as she poked her head into the basement. I groaned and my mum gave me a stern look. I silenced my mouth and shook my head before telling Michael I'd be right back.

I jogged upstairs, only to heave a heavy sigh before entering the living room where I found my dad with a look on his face and a cup of tea in his hands.

"You called?" I said, annoyance evident in my voice.

"I just wanted to see my boy who isn't in college yet," he said. I scoffed.

"Sure you did."

I don't bother with him anymore ever since he cheated on my mum with his secretary. I don't know how it happened, but his secretary came stumbling out of his bedroom when my mum got home from work. I came home short after from Ashton's and all I saw was a girl who's hair was a mess and lipstick badly smudged. I swore on that day I'd hate him for life. I lunged myself at him but my mother kept me held back (for his safety) and a string of profanities left my mouth. I've never seen his face so hurt. Ben and Jack, my brothers found out soon enough the morning after I had decided to sleep it off. To this day, I'm still fucking furious at my dad for cheating and my mum for keeping him around.

"I did, I really did." His voice faltered and he choked back anything else he was going to say.

"Is that it, or did you only pretend to be interested?" I snapped. He sighed.

"How many times do I have to say 'I'm sorry'?"

"You could say it a billion times and it'd never be enough. You're a sorry excuse for a father."