Chapter 24: Sisterly approval (sort of)

Jin shivered furiously as his face was blasted by the winter wind. If he had even a moment to put on one of the other jackets that he had before going outside, he would have done so quickly, knowing just how low the temperature was. Sadly, that was not a luxury that Ferryl had afforded him as she had quickly grabbed him and bolted out the building.

Heading towards the student council building, the only comfort that he could enjoy was the mass of fur for her head that barely prevented him from freezing to death. While denser than the mane that Ranka had, it didn't provide the same amount of comfort that Jin liked.

After what seemed like an eternity to him, they finally arrived. The massive wide marble steps led to a beautiful building that seemed out of place in comparison to its surroundings, even on a campus as prestigious as Seton University. Pure white with tall columns that rivaled that of the white house, it suddenly seemed very intimidating to the pair, as if they should not be here.

And yet, at this moment, Jin knew that this was the only place that he had to be.

He never really cared much for what the student councils usually did, pretending to be more important than they actually were. A bunch of stuck up students that played pretend politics while most of the school barely acknowledge its existence, Jin included. But with what they were doing, he had no choice but to get involved.

"If they are going to lie about me as a case for their rules, I might as well go be there myself and let them know the truth," Jin muttered to himself, as he and Ferryl walked solemnly side by side up the stairs.

With his intense focus on the doors in front of them, Jin didn't even register the fact that his bare feet were pressing into the snow, step by step.

Approaching the door, he turned to Ferryl. "You don't have to be here if you don't want to, but thanks for the ride here."

Ferryl scoffed. "I am not here only to carry you around like a dog. I need to see just how well my sister's mate can fight."

Jin sighed. "Knowing these animals, my loss is all but guaranteed, so there won't be much for you to watch and be proud of."

Ferryl got down on one knee and looked directly in his eyes, her face strangely calm and warm. This was not a look that Jin was used to, especially from her.

"Listen," she began, looking around to see if anyone as watching. Satisfied that it was just the pair of them, she continued, lowering her voice to barely a whisper. "I don't care if you win or not."

"When I first met you, you were a bit on the cowardly side, even for a chimpanzee. How you managed to catch my sister's eye, I will never know. She has a bit of an odd taste that we don't exactly understand. But even with that, I still didn't think that you were right for her, not by a long shot. When danger approached, you would run to protect that other human and abandon my sister. When she showed affection, you would reject it because she was an animal and, in your mind, to be treated like trash."

Jin hung his head down as Ferryl listed the things she found to be wrong with him. Ever since the day that he had accepted what he felt for Ranka and embraced it, there had been times where he looked back on how he acted with regret. Sure, Ranka could have been less enthusiastic, but it was not an excuse for what he did. There were times when he unconsciously overcompensated and treated Ranka even more than he usually did. But no matter what he did, his guilty conscience still nibbled at his mind about what he did.

Ferryl suddenly grinned. "But when I came into that cave and saw you and my sister, do you know what I saw? A man putting himself at risk to protect her, even after he was quite injured in the fight. Even I didn't expect you to do that for anyone, especially for someone that in your eyes had been a bane of your existence. And yet, you fought for her and protected her. You have come a long way from when I first met you."

Ferryl stood up and slammed the doors open. This sent a few of the students inside flying from the force of her lightly punching the wooden doors.

"Even if you lose, I can be satisfied that my sister has a mate who will fight regardless." She swiftly turned to face inside the council room. "That doesn't mean I like you that much, but I can tolerate you. If you treat her right, that is."

"Thank you Ferryl," Jin replied, causing her to blush that he actually remembered her name. "Now it's getting a bit cold. Let's go inside."

"No, I'm fine watching from out here."

"It's going to take a while, are you sure?"

Ferryl nodded, gently pushing Jin inside the room and waiting outside. As he straightened himself up, Jin looked up and towards the eyes of a very surprised and cold naked mole-rat.