Chapter 28: A simple promise

"You know, I never saw Mika cry that much before," Jin said as he and Ranka walked out of the building. Ranka was still drying herself from the salty tears that had poured from the school president. "Ugh, wish that she didn't have to apologize while using me as a towel," Ranka muttered.

"I was surprised, but I'm still not sure if I would be able to forgive her for what she tried to do to us," Jin said, still understandably holding a grudge against her due to the rule that the mole-rat had tried to push through.

"You think I should have not forgiven her?" Ranka asked, looking up at Jin.

He smiled at her as they sat down on one of the benches. The brightness of the sun made it so that the pair had a beautiful view of the fountain. It had been frozen as the water had erupted from its many spouts, creating a beautiful spiraling ice statue for the student's enjoyment.

"No, I know that it would be impossible for you to be angry at her forever. It's just not a part of you." Jin chuckled. "Probably another reason why I fell for you in the first place, you always try to help out others, even if they don't deserve it."

Ranka blushed and quickly looked down, trying to hide her happy face from Jin. The pair sat quietly for a few moments, enjoying the view that they managed to find. A slight wind made Ranka cuddle up with Jin, warming them up. There was still one more thing that rested on her mind, something she had been thinking about since the council meeting.

"Jin," Ranka said quietly. "I was wondering something. If the rule was passed, would you really have given up the school for me?"

Jin nodded. This was a scenario that he had considered many times, even before he knew about the proposed rule. In the beginning, he was torn. After all, he had spent most of his life focusing on nothing but his school. All the cramming for exams, extra time spent on mastering different subjects that he would learn in the future and even a couple of tutors to help him out with a few particularly difficult topics. To give up all that hard work would be difficult for him, unless....

"I had worked all his life in school so that I could have a happy life with no regrets. If I can't be with the one I love, then what was the whole point of it?" He turned to look at Ranka and placed his hand under her chin. He could feel her face heating up from that touch.

"As long as we are together, everything will be okay. I don't need prestige from a school if I have you." Closing the gap between the two, Jin gently kissed Ranka. The pair had made out enough times that Ranka was able to not explode into another licking frenzy most of the time. But still, these little moments were still special to them, no matter how often it happened.

After a few minutes, their lips broke for breath. Breathing a bit heavier, Ranka climbed onto his side and hugged him tightly. "Jin," she said softly, her eyes shining as she gazed into his eyes. "I love you." Jin's chest tightened slightly as he heard what she said.

It was still a strange thing to hear those words from a girl that he at one time swore he would try to stay away from at all costs. Something that might take a while for him to get used to. "Oh well," Jin thought as he reached into his pocket. "I have a lifetime to get used to it."

When MeiMei and the others finally reached the fountain, they looked around for Jin and Ranka. "I could have sworn that they would be here," Yena stated, closely looking at the surrounding benches.

"There! I found them." Hitomi exclaimed, pointed at the pair rolling around in the snow. From their point of view, it was as if Ranka's face had merged with Jin's.

"Hey guys, are you okay?" Yukari called out as the group walked over. Ranka finally separated herself and waved at the rest of the cooking club, Jin still catching his breath and lying flat on his back.

"We are doing great!" Ranka yelled out, maybe causing some minor ear problems for the animals too close to her. "I am going to start a new pack with Jin!" Smiling from ear to ear, she pointed to her neck, where Jin had placed a small shiny silver and amethyst necklace.

"Ranka," Jin had said as he pulled out the jewelry from his pocket. Ranka's eyes darted down to his hand, where a small box was in the palm of his hand. "I love you too." Pulling the necklace out of the box, he gently placed it onto her neck. "And I want to love for as long as I can."

"That means you're getting married! Congrats!" MeiMei cried out upon seeing the necklace. The rest of the group knew that wasn't the case but simply played along, quite enjoying the scene the pair were causing. All the others gathered to admire Ranka's new necklace and cheer her for such a wonderful gift.

Jin opened his mouth to correct the misunderstanding but thought for a second and closed it. He would explain the necklace to her later. He could stand to watch her smile for a few moments. "It may just a necklace for now, but someday, maybe...."

He sat back up and gently wrapped his arms around her, catching the others by surprise from such an open gesture. Ranka smiled and turned around to return the hug. "Jin, will you stay with me forever?" She whispered into his ear.

Smiling, Jin gently kissed her on the forehead. "As long as I live, I will be with no one else but you." He promised. The warmth the pair generated caused the others to also join in, cuddling with each other in the snow like a flock of penguins. At that moment, Jin and Ranka in each other's arms felt peaceful. "I love you," Jin whispered into her ears, "And I always will."