Chapter Two

Jack had been sitting in his office, working on some paperwork before he could head home.

He sighed.  He had had a rough day.  His back pain had been worse than usual; as if he sat in one position for two long, his back would scream in pain.  He was exhausted, as he had flown in a few days ago from some grassroots campaign work out in Nebraska. 

Honestly, I can't believe people live out there.  It's just so dry, barren, and plain.  Doesn't matter to me though.  One more campaign stop to me is one more vote on the ballot.

Jack continued to sort through the thick stacks of paperwork that his secretary had accumulated from Congress while he was away.  Jack knew, that for the next few days, he would be working overtime in order to compensate all of the work that he had missed from heading to Nebraska.

The Civil Rights Bill... Jack thought to himself, as he was filing through thick stack of paperwork.   He pulled it to the top, and began to read over the document.  Civil Rights was something that was passionate to him, as Jack believed that everyone deserved the same opportunity, no matter what their race or gender. 

Jack scanned the document, looking for key details that would make him sign onto the document, such as the removal of voter laws and the Jim Crow laws. 

Jack rubbed his eyes as he kept reading.  He was exhausted, and the last thing he wanted to do was make a brash decision on something this important. 

He glanced out the window, and he saw the streetlights starting to light.  Jack didn't want to stay there for longer than he had to.

His phone rang, which caused for Jack to pick up.  "Senator Kennedy speaking." 

"Jack!  How'd the trip in Nebraska go?"

Jack smiled.  "It went fine, Dad.  Everything went well.  I went to the right campaign events, I really do think that we got a few wins out there."

"That's good, that's good.  You gotta keep that up, Jack.  You know how you have a lot of people working against you." 

Jack's face wrinkled in confusion.  "What do you mean?" 

"Well, you're Irish, and Catholic.  The people are willing to accept one, but not both.  You need to find yourself something that helps isolate you from that image.  Something to make you stand out."

"Dad, can I call you back out this?  I have a lot work to do here at my office.  I missed a lot of work in these past few days." 

"Actually, I want for you to come by the campaign headquarters today.  We can discuss this further." 

"Dad, I-" 

"Jack, this important.  I need for you to come by today.  This is your future, no more games." 

Jack sighed, running his hand through his hair in frustration.  "I'll be over when I'm finished." 

"That's my boy."  Joe responded, before adding, "see you soon."

"Bye."

Jack groaned.  He wanted to head home, heat up some food, and relax in the tub, and head to bed early.  Jack knew that his father wanted to get a head on the campaign.

"I know that I have to work hard to become president, but I need to take care of myself too," Jack muttered under his breath. 

He continued to search through various papers, sorting them into various categories, such civil rights, economics, home security, papers on how to deal with the communist Russians, and more.