Chapter Four

Jack was walking along the beach, his hands in his pockets, his head focused on the ground.  The air was crisp, and the slightest coating of snow covered the ground, providing a slight crunch.

He was contemplating everything.  Life.  The presidency.  That was the biggest thing that was looming in front of him. 

Am I really going to be the next president?

Jack walked near the edge of the water, the cold water dampening his loafers.

I'm so...young.  I want this, I really do.  But what if I don't win?  What if they don't vote for me because of my age?  What if they don't vote for me because they think that I'm too inexperienced?

As he walked close to the edge of the ocean, the waves splashing methodically on the shore.  The sound of crashing waves was something that always comforted Jack.  It was something that helped contain and streamline his thoughts, and it was always something that brought him back home.

He took in a sharp breath of the cold, winter air.  The start of 1960 was right around the corner, and he knew that he would be primarily working on the road.

A year from now, I could be getting ready to move into the White House.

A darker thought entered his mind.

Or, you'll be sitting here, listening to Dad talk about how much of a failure it was and all of the things I did wrong, and how to prepare for the next election.

He shook his head. 

No.  No negative thinking.  You absolutely cannot think like that.  You WILL win.  You know that.  Dad will make sure that you won't loose.

As Jack was deeply entrenched on the beach, he didn't see Bobby and Teddy trying to catch up with him.  He also didn't see the over-arching football flying in the air towards his back.

"Incoming!" Teddy shouted, which roused Jack's from his thoughts.

"Hmm?" He hummed to himself, still partially immersed in his thoughts.

"Watch out, Jack!" Bobby yelled.

Jack's train of thought was now broken. 

"What the-"   He said, turning around, his eyes instantly widening as he watched a football fly towards his face.  He managed to dodge in the kick of time, his hand swatting the ball away before hitting him in the face. 

"Holy Hell!  Can either of you two look where you're throwing? Or at least give me a heads up before it's about to pummel me to death?" Jack asked as he waited for his brothers to speed through the sand. 

"Sorry Jack," Teddy replied, slapping his shoulder.   "We did, but you didn't look up.  You okay?  You can't be getting all depressed on us now, Jack."

"No, I'm fine, I'm just, thinking about things." Jack replied to his brother, giving him a smile for him to get the message and leave him alone.

Bobby rolled his eyes at Ted, before hitting him lightly in the shoulder.  In some ways, Bobby acted like the eldest.  After all, he was the one out of the three boys that was married with children. 

"Ignore Ted.  But Jack, you do seem a tad distracted.  What's on your mind?"

"Yeah, you'll feel better once you get it off your chest." Teddy added, tossing the football in the air to himself. 

Jack sighed.  His brothers were right.  They, or at least Bobby, were his biggest confidants.  If he could tell anyone, it's them.

"I'm just thinking about 1960. There's just so much riding on this election. I feel like I'm taking a risk on something that could just be a massive flop. What if I lose? I don't have any other backup plans after this." Jack stressed, looking up at his brother.