Chapter Seven

It was the first week past the new year, and Jacqueline was back into full work at the office.  As 1960 was starting in full swing, Jackie was soon overwhelmed with the amount of work that was put onto her plate.  Countless interviews, in and out.  She and Jack were now constantly together.  Well, for more than one reason.  They were engaged.  Or, 'engaged'. 

Jacqueline took a long draw from her cigarette.  She could feel the stress continue to build in her veins from the campaign.

I must portray the perfect politician wife for him.  Even though I'm not one.  Even though Joe thinks I am. 

Patricia came up to her, plopping a magazine on her desk, letting a magazine slam onto her desk. 

"What's this?"  She asked, her tone a mixture of excitement, confusion, and chiding. 

Jack's as Jackie's eyes scanned the front cover, she noticed that it was a tabloid.  Her heart began to beat rapidly. 

Oh no.  Oh no, oh no, OH NO. 

"The Senate's Most Eligible Bachelor Settling Down Before Road to the White House?" The heading read in a bright bold font. 

Jackie felt herself to begin to build up a sweat.  She swallowed, and glanced up at Patricia, who was waiting for an answer.

It was clear that Jackie was on the cover with Jack.  It was from their first dinner date, and it showed the two getting ready to leave.  It showed Jack helping Jackie into the car, a drunken smirk on her face.  By anyone else's imaginations, and the cheap sleazy tabloid's on the quest to ruin lives and earn money; the two look completely happy together.

"Well?"  Patricia pressed, wanting to know more. 

"Surprise,"  Jackie said weakly, a large smile on her face.  Her large smile seemed to convince the others that she was truly happy, and hid away all of her true feelings.  Patricia's face lit up like a firework, letting out a squeal, which caused for everyone's heads in the offices to turn. 

"Patricia, calm down!"  Jackie hissed.  "It's not that big of a deal!" 

Her eyes widened to the size of moons.

"Jacqueline Bouvier!  This is a big deal!  This is a huge deal!  It's not every day that someone gets engaged to the Presidential Nominee, Jack Kennedy!" 

Jack's name was a buzzword among the office, and in mere seconds Jackie was surrounded of gaping women who were demanding to know more from her.

Jackie managed to quickly snuff out her cigarette as all the women of the office flooded her desk.

"How long?"

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"How did you two meet?"

"You're so lucky you're engaged to him!"

"Can I see the ring?"

"What do the two of you do when you go and see him?"

"I thought you hated him?"

"Aren't you a Republican?"

"Is he as dreamy in person?"

"I, uhh," Jackie stammered, unable to formulate a response. There was so many people flinging questions are her at an astronomical rate, Jackie could barely keep up.

All of her co-workers were eyeing Jackie like a lion cornering an innocent piece of prey. They were looking to see the ring, to see what she wore, to see what the most radical senator saw in her.