Chapter Nine

It was several weeks later, and part of Jackie was still dwelling on the incident in Minnesota.

Jack, in all the time that I've known him, has never snapped at me for anything.

Jackie looked out the window at the surpassing countryside, her eyes scanning on all of the trees that were vividly flashing by throughout the neighborhood.

Jack and Jackie were heading to the Cape for the long weekend. Jack had suggested it, for the two to get away for a while, and for Jack to talk with his father about the next political step on where to go from there.

"We're also going to be discussing the wedding this weekend, Jackie. Don't be surprised if my father or any of my siblings bring it up to you."

Jackie gave him a half-hearted smile. "Of course."

Recently, she hadn't really been in the mood to fight with him. Although Jack still seemed to have an air about him that Jackie didn't like, Jackie had been taking a step back from him.

He's hiding something from me. I just know it.

Ever since their squabble back in Minnesota, Jackie had noticed a change in Jack's personality. He seemed so different from when she first met him back in Washington. He was so carefree, full of energy and was vivacious in all aspects of life. Now, everything seemed to different than it had in the past. He just seemed extremely uptight, and that everything that she did seemed to set him off. Now when they would go travelling, Jack seemed much more reserved, especially when they were alone in their room together.

Jack had gone from one that was impish and a prankster, to one who seemed to morph into someone serious while they were away.

At least he's finally acting his age.

Jackie glanced to see Jack sitting next to her, his body position was turned to face the passing bays and wiry grasslands, his hand bouncing up and down on his leg, anxious to get to his father's house.

----

Jackie was walking back to the guest room for the evening, ready to crawl into bed and to fall asleep. It had been a long time since she had felt so at ease, but so confused at the same time.

Jackie had finally started to understand the maze of hallways at the Kennedy house, and didn't need to be led around like she used to. Or, at least she was getting there. The occasional realization that she was heading towards Sistertown, Jackie would turn back around to start from ground zero.

As she was heading back to her room, she saw a door slightly cracked open, and heard hushed voices inside. Male voices.

Who could possibly be in there? And what are they hiding?

Jackie bit her lip. She had always been told that it was wrong to spy, but she needed to know.

It's what I'm best at.

She leaned against the side of the doorframe, and peered into the room.  She saw two figures in the room, one was lying down on the bed