Chapter 18

It was another sleepless night for Arthit. He sat by the tiny window, in the cramped room. It could hardly be called a room. It was nothing more than a storage room. He stared as the cars passed by, looking at the sky, wondering if his parents were up there among the stars. It had been 3 years, but he remembered everything like it had happened yesterday.

The day his parents died. No, the day they were killed. He lost everything. He was barely 14 years old, when it happened. After that, it felt like all his dreams, all his ambitions were gone. He wanted to be a musician, learning guitar from a very young age. He had even written a song for his mother, just a few days before the incident.

"Oon," His sister called out. "Can't sleep again?" She slowly crawled out of her own bed. It wasn't a bed. They both slept on a small worn out mattress.

"I saw it again." Arthit said, his eyes watery.

"It's been three years, Oon. We have to move on." Her voice held little conviction. Darkness with the pale moonlight hid the tears that had rolled down on Arthit's cheeks. He felt his sister's hands gently squeezing his shoulder.

"I don't know what I'd do without you." Arthit said, putting his own hand on his sister's.

"Me neither."

A loud crash was heard from downstairs. He was back. Arthit's face paled, but he tried to remain calm.

"He wouldn't come up, would he?" His sister asked worried. Arthit just gripped her hand tighter.

"Kristina! Come down now!" A stern voice echoed through the house. Both of them got tensed, as a shiver ran down her spine. Kristina, Arthit's sister, started to go down.

"Wait! Don't go." Arthit whispered quickly.

"I can't..." Kristina trembled with fright.

"I'm coming with you. I can't let that asshole touch my sister." His resolve was firm, as he held Kristina's hand. They heard footsteps coming up. Both of them froze, breath stopping.

"Kristiiiiiinnaaaaa," The man said in a sing song voice. His speech was slurred, and he was obviously drunk. "You can come out now."

It wasn't long before the door to their tiny room was forced open. A bulky man stepped in, his steps were wobbly, and there was a strong smell of alcohol in the air. Arthit protectively pulled Kristina behind him.

"Move aside!" The man spat. Slowly coming closer.

"No!" Arthit said in a bold voice. Shit. What had he done?

"What did you say?! Now you will raise your voice on me, piece of trash?" The man raised his fists in anger.

"N-no, I'm sorry." Arthit said, looking down. Everything happened so quickly. He was roughly pushed aside, as his head banged on the wood, causing him to writhe in pain. His brain stopped responding, and everything felt numb, as he drifted in an out of consciousness.

"Let me gooo!" He heard his sister say. The man pulled her roughly by her hair, dragging her out of the room. She struggled against him, but he was far too strong for her. His steps were still as both of them stumbled to the drawing room. Kristina let out a scream, after which her mouth was covered by a rough hand. She continued screaming, her screams muffled under the hand.

Arthit gained consciousness upon hearing the scream, and tried to get up. He was definitely bleeding from the forehead, but he didn't care. He walked downstairs, as fast as his legs could carry him, barely missing a few steps. The sight in front of him, shook him. His sister was struggling against the man. Her gown was torn at the neck, exposing her shoulder, her hair was a mess, and her cheek had a visible cut.

Arthit launched himself on the man, trying to seperate him from his sister. I won't let you hurt her. He somehow managed to push him aside, making him fall, due to his lack of senses because of the alcohol. He hugged Kristina, holding her tight.

"Come on, Kristina." He said in a chirpy voice. The way he took her name disgusted Arthit. "Let me fuck you. You're almost 18 now, it won't even be that illegal." He said in the same sing song voice. His speech was slurred.

"Don't you dare touch my sister." Arthit growled, covering Kristina with his own jacket.

"Haha, you think you can stop me?" The man spoke with confidence.

"We need to get out of here," Kristina whispered to Arthit in a shaky voice.

"Get out of here?! Did you forget I'm your legal guardian? You ungrateful little bitch." The man had gained enough strength to stand back up. He slowly stood up, taking support from the railing. Arthit tried to back away, with Kristina next to him, but the man was too fast. Something glinted in the light. It was a knife. A sharp one. Arthit pushed Kristina aside just in time.

The thing pierced his abdomen with a sharp pain. Arthit held the knife between his fingers trying to get it off. The struggle between him and the man continued for sometime, before Kristina banged the man's head with a vase. He fell down with a big thud, as the pieces of glass fell all around.

"Oon! You're bleeding." She rushed to him, seeing his shirt soaked in blood.

"We have to get out. Now!" Arthit managed to say. They both gathered their belongings as quickly as possible, and ran downstairs. Thankfully the man was still unconscious. They both rapidly exited the house, determined never to come back, ever again. They ran for a while, and finally stopped for a breath.

Arthit had no strength remaining, he could drop any instant. He sat down on the pavement, breathing hard, holding his wound with one hand. It was a dark night, with two 17-year olds, completely in their own, now homeless.

"Oon, hold on just a little bit longer..." The pain was unbearable, and blood was everywhere. In those last moments, all he could think about was his parents. How they were brutally murdered, in front of his eyes. He lost everything. How they've had to live in such conditions for over three years. How it all started, because of one person. Kongpob.