Chapter 34

"I miss you, Kong. I want you back."

Arthit didn't know what overcame him. The words came out on their own. Arthit was willingly to forget all past matters and start fresh. He needed to be with Kong, with Thara. But Arthit knew it was a very tough task. Their past had not been good, and it would be very hard to forget it completely, for both of them.

"Want me back?" Kong pushed Arthit away creating some distance between them. "What do you think I am? A toy that you can come and play with any time?" There was hurt in Kong's voice. Kong was done being used. He was independent, capable, had a daughter he loved so much, and had a steel heart. No one, absolutely no one could enter it. Ever again.

"No, of course not. I really wish to-"

"P'Arthit, you've already hurt me enough for a lifetime. I cannot take any more than this. Please just leave me alone." Kong's words hit Arthit like bricks. Arthit knew he had hurt Kong. He had done that intentionally, and he couldn't forgive himself for it. But so had Kong. Everything was mutual.

"You think it didn't hurt me? I've been hurting for way longer than you. For 18 years." Arthit said, unable to hold it in any longer.

"What?" Kong had no idea what Arthit was talking about.

"Because you killed my mother." Arthit said with slight anger.

"What are you talking about?" Kong was utterly confused. He had never harmed a single human in his life. How could Arthit accuse him of killing someone? Just the thought made him shiver. It reminded him of his parents, and it made him feel sick.

"10th August, 2002. My parents and I came to your house. It's the day they were murdered, and it was you holding the gun."

..........

*Flashback*

It was a beautiful day. Kong was busy playing with his puppy in the garden. His parents had been exceptionally lenient and permitted him to go on an upcoming field trip at school. He saw a stylish car arrive at the gate. A few people stepped out, and they were quickly surrounded by the guards at Kong's house. They were taken inside. Kong saw a glimpse of a young boy, whose skin shined in the sun. He barely saw him for a second, but it was enough to take in his beautiful features.

He was very tired, after a few minutes. He had been playing with his puppy for over an hour. He decided to take a short nap in his room. He saw parts of the field trip in his dreams, what it would be like to actually go out with friends and explore. He was in deep sleep when he was woken up by a knock on the door. Kong just said a 'hmm'.

"Young master, there is a boy outside. He wants to meet you."

He barely heard what the woman had said. In his half sleep he replied, "Later."

He woke up after about an hour. He faintly remembered the lady coming in, but he had no idea about what she said or what he himself said. He slowly got out of bed and decided to look for the lady. She was one of the housekeepers, and his real mother's old friend.

He walked straight to the back portion of the house where the servant quarters were located, completely missing the boy who was peacefully sleeping on the couch. He was about to go to the servant quarters when he heard noises coming from the office. He walked towards the office instead. The noises got louder with each step. It seemed like people were arguing.

He was forbidden to enter the secret office without permission, but the situation didn't seem too good. He just wanted to check what was going on. He put his thumb print on the pad. The door clicked and he entered. Nobody seemed to have noticed him, since they were all slightly far from him, and too engrossed with each other.

Kong was terrified at what he saw. Guns everywhere. Everyone was holding a gun pointing at each other. There was glass shattered on the floor. It was total chaos. His father was holding a gun. He recognised one other man beside his father, who worked for his father. This man, whom Kong called Uncle Somchai  supposedly loved his real mother, and was very close to her and Kong. His father's wife was not there.

Kong had seen Somchai ever since his birth. He would tell Kong things about his mother Fah, about how Kong looked so much like her. He would tell small incidences from when she was alive. He would also tell things from when Kong was a baby. Kong had grown close to the man.

There were two more people, a man and a woman that Kong didn't recognise. Somchai was holding a gun, aimed straight at the woman.

"You killed her. You killed my love. My Fah."

Kong immediately knew he was talking about Kong's mother. He looked at the woman. Somchai said that the woman had killed his mother. She tensed, trying to step backwards, but there was no room. The man with her, held his ground in a defensive position, at the other corner of the room. There was clear anger in Somchai's eyes.

Kong was shocked. The gunfire accident his mother died in, was because of this woman in front of him. He was angry. He didn't know what he was doing, it was like his feet worked on their own.

The next moment, he was already fully inside, walking towards Uncle Somchai. He stepped on something on the way. He quickly realised it was a gun. He was trembling but didn't lose courage. He carefully picked up the gun, turning to the woman.

He heard the sound of a gunshot from behind him. The bullet hit the woman straight on her chest. Kong felt his heart jump out of his chest. He saw her white dress start to stain with blood. He stood there, frozen, paralysed. His body, mind, everything stopped working. The gun was still in his hands.

"Noooo!" The other man spoke from a distant corner. He started running towards the woman, and in the process, running towards Kong.

"Stay away from my son!" Kong's father yelled, as the man approached them both. Kong was still unable to move. He heard another gunshot, this time supposedly from his father's gun. The man too, now lay on the floor, as the bullet hit him.

Tears escaped Kong's eyes at the frightening sight in front of him. He was shaken. Two people had just been shot in front of his very eyes. He knew his parents' had killed people, but to see it happen was something he had never imagined. It was like a nightmare. He didn't know if he would ever be able to get the image out of his mind.

He was totally unaware that another young boy was watching the scene in equal shock and horror.

*End of flashback*

"So it was your parents who killed my mother?" Kong asked in a cold tone.

"It was because of your parents that I had to live my life under restrictions, that my freedom was stolen from me?I still have nightmares about that day, till now."

..........

A/N: It is finally here. Kong wasn't responsible after all. He just happened to be there at the wrong time.

How will Arthit react to this? Will he finally come to his senses and apologise?