The Hospital

The first thing I remember is the smell. The smell of the hospital was always something I disliked. The second thing I remember was the pain. I couldn't move a single muscle. I had tubes going in and out of my arms and face. I'd definitely had stitches in several places. My head was absolutely killing me. Now the third thing I remember is seeing Nat. She was sitting by my bedside with her hand in mine and she looked just barely awake. Her eyes are tired and she's obviously been crying for a while. Her hair is a bit messier than usual and she's in sweatpants and a hoodie, both of which she doesn't usually wear. Her eyes were on the TV when I woke up. I squeezed her hand.

Her eyes shot open and she turned to me. She jumped up from the chair and knelt beside my bed. "James?" she said with a smile, her eyes tearing up. "Oh hey, Nat." I said with as much strength in my voice as I could muster, which still wasn't much. "I thought I'd lost you," she said as she began to cry. I smiled at her. "Yeah me too. I guess I wasn't ready to say goodbye." Natasha laughed as she fought back tears, wiping her face. "Hey," I started. "It's alright to cry. C'mere." I tried to outstretch my arms as much as I could to offer her a hug. She put a hand to her mouth and then put her head on my chest. I stroked her back and her hair. She was tugging at my IV a little bit, but I would never have told her. I was happy for the first time that I could remember in many days.

"How long was I out?" I asked. Natasha sighed. "One very long week." Her voice was weary as she said this. She said it in such a way that I knew she had been by my side the whole time. I grabbed her a little tighter. "Oh, sweetheart, I'm so sorry." She then looked up at me, smiling. "Don't you dare be sorry," she said in a playfully stern voice. She then rested her head on my chest again. "Steve's here. He went to get some food a minute ago," she said. I felt another tear fall onto my hospital gown. "I'm never letting you out of my sight again."

"Yes, ma'am."